Calling all Comrades - early Soviet radio antennae?

Started by Wulf, 15 July 2016, 08:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

With the new T-35 looming over us, I was thinking (and suggested on that thread), how about a radio antenna for a command tank? The big ring antenna that goes around the turret tops of early Soviet commnad tanks - incredibly fiddly to make in bits.

How well would that cast as a separate item? Maybe 6" of ring antenna with supports to be bent to shape for the tank of your choice? I think they all look the same general dimensions barring turret shape.

Leon

It would be a very fiddly piece to cast, due to it being so thin and needing the metal to flow in so every direction.  A quick compromise that comes to mind would be something like this:

... so you'd then have to clip off the bits you didn't need and bend the internal spokes down to fit the turret?

Bear in mind though, that piece would only be about 18-20mm across, so it would be a tricky piece of modelling to get it to fit right.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I suspect it would fall apart as soon as it was used in a game. I gave up with chopper rotors in 6mm years ago, just too fragile.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Wulf

Hmm... I wonder if any of the scales of warship rails would do... I'm looking for them for the railway gun anyway...

Steve J

Photo etched brass would be a good way to go, but would certainly be very delicate.

John Cook

I've used .5mm brass rod for antennae on Russian and German stuff.  Not easy but it works OK.

Techno

If someone could post a photo of the antenna, in place.....Or pop up a link to a piccy, I'll put my thinking (HAH !) cap on.

But if I've understood already, it looks very, very fiddly and fragile at this scale.
Mart would be your man, if it's possible, methinks.

Cheers - Phil

Phil - it is either a rail running 3/4ers or so around the turret with 5-6 attachments to it, or in some cases a "clothes line" around the engine deck on some light tanks. The turret ones are 2-3 feet from the turret.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

Florists wire and steady hand with superglue and tweezers, maybe?

You won't need hundreds, so the odd one might be easier just to do yourself?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Wulf

Have you looked at model ship railings which can be trimmed down:-

From here but also other suppliers http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/aeronaut-railings.html

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Wulf

Quote from: Techno on 24 July 2016, 07:20:07 AM
If someone could post a photo of the antenna, in place.....Or pop up a link to a piccy, I'll put my thinking (HAH !) cap on.
The first two pics on this page have the antenna:
http://russian-tanks.com/heavy-tank-t-35.php
Also, I found a page for the online game War Thunder with a video of the real thing & some pics of the 3d model.
https://warthunder.com/en/news/725-A-True-Land-Leviathan-en/

OK... I have to go back to War Thunder...

Wulf

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 24 July 2016, 11:09:25 AM
Have you looked at model ship railings which can be trimmed down:-

From here but also other suppliers http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/aeronaut-railings.html
Thanks for the link, I had thought of those, and I want some for my railway gun anyway!

petercooman

Maybe a bit fiddly, but what about just inserting some pins in the turret, and gluing some nylon wire to the edges? You can just attach it with superglue and it's flexible enough to go completely round the turret.

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 24 July 2016, 07:50:20 AM
Phil - it is either a rail running 3/4ers or so around the turret with 5-6 attachments to it, or in some cases a "clothes line" around the engine deck on some light tanks. The turret ones are 2-3 feet from the turret. IanS

Thanks Ian.

Pretty sure I can picture that now.
I'm almost certain I've seen another model tank with that already incorporated onto the turret (but fairly 'chunky').....So it wouldn't need fixing 'as an extra'.

Trouble is.....Would every other type/make of tank need 'converting' if that was the way to go ?
Be a bit cost prohibitive for Leon, I reckon.

Cheers - Phil

Wulf

I was thinking more of a #one size fits all' extra, just a straight length of antenna you could cut & bend to fit. wouldn't be accurate, as the support bar spacings wouldn't be tailored to each tank, but it would give the impression. I THINK white metal would stand the bending...

Definitely a product to mark 'caveat emptor' though...