Rules for LoA

Started by fred., 02 July 2016, 12:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Thanks that helps - I'll have another look at BLB, but first impressions seem to show it was quite fiddly
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

iain1704

The Pike and Shot Society are in the process of sending an updated version of Twilight of the Sun King called Birth of the Age of Reason to the Printers - there will also be a scenario book

The rules have been developed by Nick Dorrell and can be played on two levels - Brigade and Regimental - they can be played using all figure scales but I would suggest 10mm might be the best scale to use

We hope to get them out by early October at the latest

kind regards

Iain Stanford

fred.

There does seem to be a resurgence of rules for this period.

I will continue to paint steadily and await further  developments on the rule front.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

Is it another case of good figures spawning appropriate rules
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Sandinista

Quote from: iain1704 on 27 August 2016, 10:14:11 AM
The Pike and Shot Society are in the process of sending an updated version of Twilight of the Sun King called Birth of the Age of Reason to the Printers - there will also be a scenario book

The rules have been developed by Nick Dorrell and can be played on two levels - Brigade and Regimental - they can be played using all figure scales but I would suggest 10mm might be the best scale to use

Will these cover large armies, like my French?

Hwiccee

First of all what a great army Sandinista.

On your question the rules are aimed at doing large battles and you define the unit size, usually a brigade is the unit. So you could use 1 of what appear to be your units as a unit or 2 or 3 or whatever. Our figures are based similarly to yours and we usually use 2 units to be a unit/brigade.

I think you have 40 infantry units so that could be 20 brigades if you do as above. You need 24 brigades for Neerwinden/Landen, i.e. one of the biggest battles. For the largest battles like Neerwinden/Landen I would suggest 2 players a side or having a longer playing time. But most other battles should be 1 player a side and fight it in an afternoon/evening.

Leman

If you fancy something large and quick, without too much bogging down, then there is a C17th version of Too the Strongest in the pipeline.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Westmarcher

Gå På may be another one to consider. Although initially designed for the GNW, the Swedish and Russian Foot (like the LoA) are organised in combined arms teams of Pike & Shot in a similar fashion to those in the LoA. These rules also appear to be closer in chronological terms to the LoA than, say, VWQ which was initially designed for the ECW. 

As I recall (I've got these rules somewhere in the house but not immediately to hand so apologies in advance if I recall incorrectly), Saxon, Danish, Dutch, English and French armies and the WSS are also featured. Unfortunately, I've never played a game (only a few 'test' manoeuvres, so to speak) but one of the innovations they have as I recall, tries to replicate the deteriorating level of visibility that develops during a black powder battle as more and more guns are discharged. Although I liked other features such as the idea of units using separate officer / command figures to denote command status, one of the things that put me off them was the proscribed base sizes and number of bases per unit depending on nationality (understandable given the differing tactical doctrines and evolution of formations in that era from ranks of 6 deep at the end of the 16th century to 3 deep by the end of the WSS) - I like a more simple and standardised basing structure for my miniature war-games units (another reason was that I didn't fully fancy what was on offer from figure manufacturers in the scale I was looking for at the time I bought them - no excuse now with the release of Pendraken's LoA range!). Perhaps one of the forum members has a greater knowledge of the rules to describe them further?   
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Quote from: FierceKitty on 28 August 2016, 09:32:15 AM
WTF?

Does this mean, "I was not aware of that;" or is it, "That's a jolly bad idea" ?

FierceKitty

It mean me no savvy "Too the Strongest".
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Chad

It's a set of Ancient rules. Played on a table with 4" squares marked. Playing my first game with DaveL at the moment. So far seems easy to pick up, plays quickly but effectively.
Mollinary is more experienced than me on the rules and believe he recently played a large demo game. He might be able to fill in some 'blanks' so to speak.

cameronian

Quote from: FierceKitty on 28 August 2016, 11:01:28 AM
It mean me no savvy "Too the Strongest".

I think you will find it's a comment on the use of 'too' instead of 'to'.

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

mollinary

Quote from: cameronian on 28 August 2016, 11:36:59 AM
I think you will find it's a comment on the use of 'too' instead of 'to'.

I think Cam is at his most perspicacious!  But just in case, TtS is a grid based set of Ancient rules which allow big battles to be played quickly (at 'The Other Partizan' we played Raphia to an exciting conclusion with six players, most of them unfamiliar with the rules, in two and a quarter hours). Dice throwing is replaced by drawing cards from a pack of 80 cards,  eight each of numbers 1-10 ( so two normal packs put together with the court cards removed). Mechanisms are simple and quick to pick up. At present I am working with Simon Miller, the author, on producing an ECW variant. Currently being playtested.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

Its this typilnmg thing - I often hither wrong keys and then have too apples put up with auyttogpehuyhrevt cutting on swell.