Started by Leon, 02 July 2016, 12:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

Quote from: sean66 on 11 February 2021, 11:26:32 AM
awesome paint jobs as usual.
love the Berlin Camo
regards
Sean

I totally agree Sean - it has got to be one of the best Cold War camos - although some of the Modern Chinese camo schemes are also fantastic and give it a run for the money.

I must admit I am very tempted by some 10mm CWC armour for an imaginary "what if?" Berlin scenario
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Got an Airfix Chefey or two in it, it;s murderous to paint,
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

hammurabi70

Quote from: Big Insect on 11 February 2021, 01:34:14 PM
I totally agree Sean - it has got to be one of the best Cold War camos - although some of the Modern Chinese camo schemes are also fantastic and give it a run for the money.

I must admit I am very tempted by some 10mm CWC armour for an imaginary "what if?" Berlin scenario

The Berlin cameo seems to have been inspired by the regularity of straight line human construction in an urban environment and one that used colours adjusted to such an environment.  The use of pixellated camouflage for rural settings as the Chinese appear to do puzzles me.  Can anyone explain why it might be better than traditional approaches to camouflage?

John Cook

Quote from: ianrs54 on 11 February 2021, 08:12:48 AM
Good stuff - but why waste time on the Conway, 1 prototype built !

The Conway is indeed an odd choice.  I wonder what the rationale was for that decision?  It might be useful in some post-apocalyptic scenario, where the zombies try to overrun The Tank Museum while David Fletcher is recording an episode of Tank Chats.  Other than that............

sultanbev

The original War Office plan was to issue Conways 1 per Centurion 20pdr Troop, but like the old Firefly and Sherman mix, with each division having a whole regiment just of Conquerors (!). In the end they just put 6-9 Conquerors in each regiment and left the regimental commanders to work it out.
But trying out the what-if with the Conways in each Troop might be an interesting game, once. I suspect it would have worked out badly in practice.

But a whole regiment of Conquerors, now that would be something!

Quote from: sultanbev on 12 February 2021, 01:51:13 AM
But a whole regiment of Conquerors, now that would be something!

Yes broken down and unrecoverable ! :D

Leon

Quote from: John Cook on 11 February 2021, 11:41:10 PM
The Conway is indeed an odd choice.  I wonder what the rationale was for that decision?  It might be useful in some post-apocalyptic scenario, where the zombies try to overrun The Tank Museum while David Fletcher is recording an episode of Tank Chats.  Other than that............

I think the Conway was a freebie from the sculptor, he was doing the Cent 1 at the time and popped a Conway turret in the box for us.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Big Insect

The BTR-152 with armoured top is just crying out for the addition on a chap firing an RPG or a man-pad SAM  :D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

fsn

Quote from: Leon on 12 February 2021, 10:03:55 AM
I think the Conway was a freebie from the sculptor, he was doing the Cent 1 at the time and popped a Conway turret in the box for us.
And a mighty fine thing it is too!

I have a 1950s-ish imagination campaign where Conways, Conquerors and Centurions take on T54s and M48s.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Bit of sugert with a craft knife and use of super glue Mark, but isn't the 152 a tad early for those. If you really want them now PSC 10mm stiuff will supply (this will get moderated for that un).

Raider4

Quote from: fsn on 12 February 2021, 01:58:05 PM
I have a 1950s-ish imagination campaign where Conways, Conquerors and Centurions take on T54s and M48s.

And T-10s and M103s.

Soviet heavies could also be IS-2, IS-3, ISU-152. All around til the early 60's

fsn

All very valid points Gentlemen, but my warring proxies only bought T54s and M48s.

There is also a French client state with AMX13s and Panhards. Waiting for the AMX30 I think.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Big Insect

Quote from: fsn on 12 February 2021, 03:33:38 PM
All very valid points Gentlemen, but my warring proxies only bought T54s and M48s.

There is also a French client state with AMX13s and Panhards. Waiting for the AMX30 I think.

I do like an AMX30 have any actually fought in anger anywhere?
I know the Greeks use(d) them - did they actually fight against the Turks with them?

fsn

Does it matter? I have 4 warring imaginary nations that fight with all sorts of kit. :D