Perks of the job

Started by Nosher, 30 June 2016, 08:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

One of the perks of my job is coming into more or less daily contact with the elderly and yesterday I sat enthralled listening to a patients exploits on D-Day with Hobarts Funnies. Earlier on in the same shift I spent an hour with a FEPOW with the constitution of an ox despite three and a half years in Japanese Captivity.

Last week I was with a Merville Battery and Arnhem veteran who had suffered an appalling mid shaft femur fracture. When I asked him how he fell his response was 'The flaming Jerries spent four years trying to knock me on my arse and here I am seventy years later being dropped by a flaming rug...!"

All three gentlemen were on no medication whatsoever, in their mid-nineties living pretty much independently. I go to people half their age with prescription medications in every nook and cranny of their homes. Says it all really.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

nikharwood

Techno

skywalker

Excellent those Gentlemen were obviously made of stouter stuff :-bd :-bd :-bd

Chris Pringle

I have a relative who had a job assisting veterans in the US. She had interesting things to say about generational differences. As I recall it went something like this:

- WWII and Korea veterans: amazingly uncomplaining and reluctant to accept assistance;
- Iraq/Afghanistan veterans: OK and normal and fine to deal with;
- Vietnam: disproportionate numbers of self-pitying whingers.

I am paraphrasing from my vague recollection of a couple of years back, and obviously this was very broad-brush generalization anyway. I mean no offence to anyone by (possibly mis-)reporting it. I certainly don't want to disparage either the courage or the suffering, then and since, of those who fought in Vietnam.

But in connection with Nosher's description of the WWII generation, I thought it worth sharing.

Chris

Leman

I think something about the nature of the Vietnam War, the lack of home support and the way in which conscription was carried out probably had a great deal to do with the differences.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Once met an ex-marine who'd been in 'Nam. Remarkably sensible chap, well-informed on Asian politics, pro-gun control, beat me at chess, showed me the portrait he was painting of his son, played the violin. Why doesn't Hollywood show that side of the American face from time to time?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

jimduncanuk

I spoke to an older chap while on vacation in the States.

He had been a door gunner on a chopper in Viet Nam.

His officer was only interested in the body count. He was told if we lost one today then kill ten tomorrow.

He wouldn't say much more than that.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Poggle

I once worked with a Normandy veteran who tried to creep out the 17 year old me with tales of his fighting days. Stories of taking boots off dead German soldiers, trenches full of water and the gory results of a sudden artillery bombardment. A tough old coot. He ate sandwiches full of raw onion. Had he eaten them back in the day he'd have killed the enemy with his breath.  ;)

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: FierceKitty on 30 June 2016, 01:52:14 PM
Once met an ex-marine who'd been in 'Nam. Remarkably sensible chap, well-informed on Asian politics, pro-gun control, beat me at chess, showed me the portrait he was painting of his son, played the violin. Why doesn't Hollywood show that side of the American face from time to time?

Gunnery Sgt Hartman set the mould.
Hollywood won't break that mould while it earns dollars.

Leman

When I first started teaching the head of PE was an ex-RAF Lancaster tail gunner. He had some interesting stories, but the one that sticks in my mind was when he reported in sick and was withdrawn from the crew. That night the plane was shot down with no survivorss
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Stroll on...  :o

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

A university tutor of mine used to tell stories of his wartime exploits in Lancasters.

My favourite was of a sortie over Germany. They had been badly hit by flak on the last run out and the plane had had extensive repairs. The pilot struggled with the handling of the plane. They began to fall behind the bomber stream to the point where, when the main group were bounced by night-fighters, they were largely unmolested, apart from odd bursts of flak. They dropped their bombs, ran for home and touched down with fumes in the fuel tanks. Exhausted, they crashed out asleep.

Following morning they were summoned by the CO.

"Gentlemen," he said,"I am unsure whether to reprimand you or submit a commendation ... the fitters tell me you've just flown to Germany and back in a plane with the ailerons on upside down! That either shows great piloting and great dedication to the mission or a complete lack of understanding of your aircraft."
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data