Learning to Sculpt

Started by Watts, 17 June 2016, 12:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watts

Today I took the plunge and decided to try and sculpt a model of my own (in 10mm, of course  :D). I was a bit inspired by the Wildlings in Game of Thrones so I whipped something up, and learned a lot in the process... I had loads of fun so I think I'll try some more. Here he is:

d_Guy

Impressive Watts!  Really well proportioned. What is the material you are using?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Watts

Thanks! I used Beesputty for this one, first time using it. I like it a lot!

Leon

That looks excellent for a first attempt, as d_guy says the proportions are really good which is one of the harder things to do. 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

FierceKitty

I'd say you have a talent worth encouraging there. But I'm disturbed that your first choice wasn't that dishy redhead ("You know noothin'. John Snow.").
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D> Impressive

Quote from: FierceKitty on 17 June 2016, 03:24:48 AM
I'd say you have a talent worth encouraging there. But I'm disturbed that your first choice wasn't that dishy redhead ("You know noothin'. John Snow.").

Would the proportions on that one have been even more challenging ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Really impressive...Especially as it's a first attempt.  :-bd

I keep meaning to have a go with Beesputty (that's the one that has to be 'cooked', isn't it ?).....But I'll probably stick with Greenstuff and ProCreate, for the time being.

Cheers - Phil

nikharwood

Fenton

Very nicely done

Phil what sort of pro tipswould you have for the beginner?

I am thinking along the lines of,

Best value for money when it comes to buying  first aid kits

Which A&E is best at removing drill bit and scalpels from various body parts

Cheers in advance
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Steve J

Excellent work, even more so given it's your first attempt.

Westmarcher

Quote from: Fenton on 17 June 2016, 07:29:15 AM
Very nicely done

Best value for money when it comes to buying  first aid kits

Cheers in advance

;D ;D =D> =D>
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

barbarian

Beesputty is good but slightly expensive.
Problem is that it's like Fimo and Super Sculpey, so cannot go in direct vulcanisation, adding a step and adding cost : Not something you want on 10mm where the margin is low.

Very well done for a first attempt. Keep going.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Yes, (now that I've got over Fenton's witty comment), that is a good first attempt.  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

17 June 2016, 10:10:02 AM #13 Last Edit: 17 June 2016, 11:11:09 AM by Techno
Quote from: Fenton on 17 June 2016, 07:29:15 AM

Best value for money when it comes to buying  first aid kits
Cheers in advance

Techno's top tips.

Always make sure you have at least three spare packets of plasters in the medicine cabinet.
Don't try and 'pull' any broken drill bits from your finger or thumb with a strong magnet.....I've tried this, and it doesn't work.

Cheers - Phil

toxicpixie

That's cracking - loads of character and nicely proportioned with excellent detail!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting