Euro 2016

Started by Westmarcher, 12 June 2016, 08:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Pringle

Anyone wishing to game Euro 2016 could try here for figures and rules:
http://ainstycastings.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/953/osCsid/d41b1a60973a2ea9d10d0fa8a85b9d9e
(Sadly not 10mm, but perhaps someone can suggest suitable Pendraken proxies.)

Chris

Subedai

Quote from: Fenton on 16 June 2016, 08:47:31 PM
There was 10,000 in the Titanic quarter for the Poland game. God knows what it will be like tonight

I was in Belfast last Wednesday. The belsonic stage is quite impressive and I bet the place was rocking at the final whistle. Some colleagues of mine are part of the press contingent for pics and reviews for some of the bands there later.

Quite liked the place and loved the Guiness; people in the know say Guiness doesn't travel and now I totally agree with them.

Micks
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Westmarcher

Just back from a short holiday in Madrid (Spain). On Monday, Mrs W. went shopping with daughter No.2 (she was at a Conference there) so, like all good wargamers, I devised a cunning plan and headed for the the Naval Museum. Which was closed. Apparently. Cerrado (Spanish for shut).  :'(

However, said cunning plan also included a trip to the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium where I spent a great couple of hours. Absolutely brilliant! I sat in the terracing. I went to the Trophy Room (actually a very, very, very long Hall packed with silverware), the other Trophy Room (the one with all of the Golden Boot awards, etc.) and the other, other Trophy Room (the one with the European Cups). I sat in the luxurious seats of the Presidential Box and the dug-out. I paced the technical area and wandered around both dressing rooms where things took a peculiar turn when I started to run a bath ..... but I won't go into that .....  :-[

Anyhoo. Whilst we had great digs in Madrid, the room's TV was not so good and so slight downside was that I was unable to keep up with the footie. So, catching uo tonight, I am delighted to see that all 3 Home Nations have qualified for the last 16. Wow! Brilliant! 3 out of 16 teams come from the UK! Well done and good luck in the next round!   =D> :-bd

Signed - one slightly jealous (but still happy) Scotsman.  ;)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

Posted without comment

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Not bad.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

THe lager is.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

nikharwood

Westmarcher

Good one, Nobby. Hadn't seen that one before!   ;D

IanS - agree - not a fan of Tennants lager either!   :Ph

Anyhoo. Wales vs. N.Ireland - pity they are drawn against each other but at least one UK team will get through.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

What larks. Pop that in your caber and toss it.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

As a) one who identifes with the more northern parts of these fair isles and b) one who cares not a jot or tittle for the game of (as I have learned to call it) kissball and c) one who loves the enthusiasm of the underdog, may I just say:

Come on Iceland!

I fully realise that by casting my ballot in their favour I have condemned them to vainglorious defeat, but I'd love to hear the Icelandic TV reporter if they do win. I think paramedics should stand by the commentary box.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Roy

I'm English. I, somewhat, support the England team ... The high-point of my enthusiasm peaked at the WC 2002 and has suffered mid-level highs and a lot of ambivalent lows since then.

I wouldn't normally wish another team to beat us (though am not surprised when they do) but, I've got to say I would find it immeasurably funny if Iceland won. So. Come on Iceland!

And Wales!

Though, good luck to the Northern Irish. I hope you really put on a show in the match.

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

pierre the shy

Speaking of minnows it reminds me a bit of when I was working in Edinburgh in 1993 and went to the local watering hole to watch England play San Marino in a World Cup qualifying game.

The English had to win by 8 clear goals but San Marino scored within 30 seconds of the game starting, much to the delight of the majority of the viewers  :o :-[

Try as they might the English could only score 7 goals so missed going to the 1994 World Cup  :(

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Subedai

Following England I always tend to think they will go out in the group stages so I never get disappointed when they do, it's only when they overachieve that I get worried about when they will peak and usually it's the game before the really important one. But I remember '66 so it's not all bad, just history.

The garbage press will have us putting 3 or 4 past Iceland as a matter of jingoistic pride but it's just not that easy anymore. nowadays, even the real minnows of any tournament have something to offer.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Tawa

What are the chances I can get an Iceland shirt delivered before Monday I wonder.......?  :D
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.