Euro 2016

Started by Westmarcher, 12 June 2016, 08:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

It's probably the best league in terms of average ability of the 20 teams in it, as well as excitement as Fenton says.  There aren't many leagues in the world where half a dozen teams have got a realistic chance of competing for the title. 

Spain and Germany have got much better quality in their top teams, but there's only 2 or 3 of those teams per league.  The quality level drops off rapidly after that though.

Quote from: Subedai on 28 June 2016, 08:10:46 PM
Anyone got any ideas for the next boss? Shame about Cloughie going when he did, he would have made a great England manager but the FA don't like people who speak their minds and tread on a few toes in the process...so we will probably get nice Mr Southgate.

I think the sensible money is on Southgate, but he wouldn't be my choice.  He's done a great job with the Under 21's, but the main squad has got a lot of egos that he'd struggle to manage.  He could only do it with an English version of Roy Keane alongside him to do the discipline side of things, like Nigel Pearson for example.  I think he could do with more experience as well, as he didn't have a great time up here at Middlesbrough before working for the FA.

Other options:
Eddie Howe - Not enough experience for me, especially with big egos again.
Alan Pardew - A possibility, some people hate him but he's got results with most of his teams.  He isn't afraid to tackle 'problem' players either.
Sam Allardyce - Just not quite my cup of tea.
Gary Neville - Needs to recover from his time at Valencia before going into such a high profile job.  I would have him back in the management team though.
Alan Shearer - Not for me, seems to be his own greatest fan.  He did awful with Newcastle in his only management job.
Glenn Hoddle - My pick for the job.  I know he's been out of favour since some stupid comments a long time ago, but he knows the game, is a solid coach, and brings a level of experience at a world level that a lot of the other candidates don't.

:-\
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Belgium 1 - Wales 3  :o :o :o :o :o

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Delighted (& Stunned) of Pembrokeshire.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Techno on 01 July 2016, 10:17:45 PM

Belgium 1 - Wales 3  :o :o :o :o :o

Wonder if the wife will let me wear a Welsh football shirt when we go to Crisis later this year.
My Ego forbids a signature.

old smokie

Delighted and not stunned  of St Athens :)

well done Wales  :-bd =D> =D> =D> =D>

Sandinista

Quote from: Leon on 29 June 2016, 12:03:26 AM
he didn't have a great time up here at Middlesbrough before working for the FA

Really? We were 2nd when he got sacked, probably would have made at least the play offs that year.

Cheers
Ian

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Ian.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

Belgium played like a pair of drunken monkeys  ;D ;D ;D

Leon

Quote from: Sandinista on 02 July 2016, 04:03:41 AM
Really? We were 2nd when he got sacked, probably would have made at least the play offs that year.

I didn't think he transitioned well from player to manager and I've seen ex-players talk about how he struggled to make that switch.  The squad was probably good enough to stay in the Premier League but I'm not sure he was able to motivate them properly.  Then selling Tuncay and Huth when we went down meant we were always going to struggle to get back up.

As an interesting bit of trivia, we had Nemanja Matic on trial that season but didn't sign him, and we also had a deal in place for Chris Smalling before he chose Fulham instead...  :'(
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Westmarcher

Quote from: petercooman on 02 July 2016, 01:19:50 PM
Belgium played like a pair of drunken monkeys  ;D ;D ;D

It was clearly to be Wales's day, Peter. Belgium had their chances but not to be. That's football. Missed the match because of a family celebration but managed to see the highlights. Three great goals. What a game! Well done, Wales! One more game and then anything's possible.  =D> :-bd

.. first Brexit, now Wales in the semis ....... what's going on? The world's turned upside down ....
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

petercooman

That's our problem. We always have chances, but never finish them off. Ah well, at least everyone can act normal now  ;D

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

My answer to our resident Welsh Nationalist -

WHITEWASH - we did, you were. Don't think he's worked it out yet.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Last Hussar

Come on West England.  ;D :d
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Hey Ho.

Cheers - Phil