Phalanx, St Helens

Started by Leon, 09 June 2016, 01:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

"menu"? You've been at those little purple tablets, haven't you?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Didn't make it again this year.  :(

Apart from the lighting, I find the parking at Phalanx atrocious. Unless you're there 30 minutes before the start you won't get a space.

Hope a good time was had by all. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

What a pity, as the Pendraken stand was really spacious this time round with masses of stuff on display.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Roy

Saw the Culloden game on a few blogs that have given an account of the show, and I've got to say (previous to knowing it was your own) that it was my favourite, from what I saw.
Though one blog has the game listed as 6mm  :o
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 20 June 2016, 08:04:17 AM
Apart from the lighting,

What sort of lighting IS that ?......Looks like the light old sodium street lamps gave off.
Don't think there's a correction facility on cameras for that particular 'temperature'.

Cheers - Phil

fsn

It's good St Helens lighting made in St Helens with St Helens glass and St Helens gas made from the waste products of St Helens.

I don't know. I think when Phalanx isn't there they use it to indoctrinate residents in "the proper and correct way of being a useful, productive and cheerful citizen of the glorious People's Republic of St Helens".

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fred.

The same lighting is in several sports halls in the NW - my assumption is that it was cheap to install!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Or someone bought a job lot of sodium lighting (if that IS what's being used) and decided to use it rather than forking out on something new ?

Interesting  :-\

Anyone try using the colour correction for old style tungsten lighting ? The lighting in the hall looks very 'warm'.......Might work.  :-\

Cheers -Phil.

Leon

It's that old 'orangey' strip lighting used in sports centres up and down the country throughout the 80's & 90's.  Unfortunately some haven't yet upgraded to actual white lights...  We had the same problem at our old Battleground/Smoggycon venue, the lights there were so orange it felt like nighttime walking in from the daylight.  I asked about fixing it at the time, but they didn't have the funding to replace all the lights?  I did wonder why they couldn't just put a better strip bulb in each time one blew, slowly transforming the whole lot over time, but that didn't seem to be an option.  In the end we moved venue instead.

I took the pics on my phone, so no colour correction available (as far as I know!)  The other issue with the lighting is that it affects all the paints on our Vallejo rack, so folks have to carry them outside to check the actual colour before buying... a bit annoying but at least we were near a fire door this year!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Norm

A flashgun will cut through the lighting to a degree, but once you get beyond a few feet, the sodium starts to win.

I tried some post processing cast adjustment, but it hardly cools the orange down. I suppose using a manual White Balance adjustment might help.

fsn

I've taken photos at Phalanx and set my white balance in the hall. Photos still needed a bit of adjustment in processing, but came out OK.

Roy

The real reason why the lighting in these venues is so poor is because people had the forethought to consider the possibility of Gizmo coming to visit!

Hadn't you all realised this. It's pretty obvious, if you ask me.  :O)
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Tawa

So I finished work at 06:00, got all my stuff ready for the bring and buy, sat down on the sofa with a brew......... and then it was nearly 15:20......  :'(
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Leman

Oh dear me. I know that road only too well.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

JeffNNN

Quote from: fsn on 20 June 2016, 08:04:17 AM
Didn't make it again this year.  :(

Apart from the lighting, I find the parking at Phalanx atrocious. Unless you're there 30 minutes before the start you won't get a space.

Hope a good time was had by all. 
Arrived an hour after start and found a space straight away. You can also pinch a space on the station parking just across the road.