HOTT Questions

Started by Baconheimer, 07 June 2016, 09:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baconheimer

I haven't had much chance to use my Pendraken miniatures for HOTT because I don't know of anyone around that plays, so I have two armies (though one is 15mm).

Anyway, I have been considering expanding my armies, but because I have two, doubling them would be fiscally rough.  Is there any specific reason that I have missed that one could not play with armies of, say, 30 AP rather than 24?

By the way, my units have 10 figures for infantry and five for cavalry.  I am aware this is above the "suggested" number.  Is there any issue with this, or is it acceptable?

Thanks,

Baconheimer

Orcs

HOTT is only really concerned about bases.  Each Unit is a base.  As long as base sizes are the same you can play with armies of different scales without any problems.
If they have different bases you just need to make sure you allow for the correct alignment when coming into combat.  The amount of figures per base is almost irrelevant.  It serves in most cases to help Identify the troop type for that base.

I have seen HOTT armies at the "Beer and Pretzels" show using almost anything.  One year I competed against an army made up of different types of pasta. Each shape representing an Alien troop type. It looked quite effective and no one objected to it. You just need to define what the troop types are to your opponent  at the start of the game   

Most  of the fantasy ranges are larger than the historical ones, so its cheaper to field a HOTT army than DBA

I have Lizard men, and have three or 4 figures per base for infantry (that's all that fits neatly) You could drop to 2 figures for skirmishers. Cavalry are 2 figures per base and Chariots, Artillery and flyers are one per base.

With this in mind you would need about 50 figures for a HOTT army. If you buy them from the old range you can buy them in small amounts to get the various types so it  would work out about £10 an army.   

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Luddite

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Ithoriel

I have in my time fielded an Ent army which was just model trees on the correct size of base for the troop types. Huorns were Hordes and Ents were Giants. Worked perfectly well.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Shedman

I have fielded a Frondulan army for HOTT Berkeley - the only problem was that I no idea which way they were facing

Here is a youtube video of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUu2MNmxDAY

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great army Shedman!
I have a sheep army - 12 sheep (Hordes), 1 Blade General (Dog), Optional paladin (shepherd boy) 1 optional behemoth (angry bull) and 1 optional warband (ram)
Stronghold (pen)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Shedman on 08 June 2016, 01:56:27 PM
I have fielded a Frondulan army for HOTT Berkeley - the only problem was that I no idea which way they were facing

Here is a youtube video of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUu2MNmxDAY

I love your Frondulan army  :-bd
You also sound scarily like me on the narration...  :-/  :o  ;)

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Maenoferren

Love the Frondulan army :)
I am not a big HOTT player but I can't see why 30 points won't work.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!