Windows 10

Started by Lord Kermit of Birkenhead, 28 May 2016, 08:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Yes, I agree and so does my wife, but I am stubborn!
I like what I have and from a hardware stand point it's good and I keep the drivers updated.
My problem, and for others in my situation, is we migrated from 7 to 10 and don't have a clean install.
There was a process for doing a clean install when the migration occurred but everything ran fine for several months and I ignored it.
(I even, embarrassingly, bragged about how well it ran right here!  :-[  A lifetime should have taught me NOT to do that).
I'll probably do what you have done at some point.)
Sleep with clean hands ...

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: d_Guy on 22 March 2017, 05:33:51 PM

(I even, embarrassingly, bragged about how well it ran right here!  :-[  A lifetime should have taught me NOT to do that).

Ah.... HUBRIS - The art of standing on a mountain top, wearing copper armour, in a thunderstorm and shouting there's no such thing as God/gods.......

d_Guy

:)
Computers are the familiars of Cthulhu!

d_Guy

Well - it's up and running again and seems OK -now  in the process of reloading apps.
Two days work to save the $400 for a new one. Holding breath.

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 22 March 2017, 01:51:48 PM
No, no, Nobby !!......You know how much I hated W10.....

Definitely sympathy for Bill, though.

I know. You haven't an ounce of schadenfreude in your body, Techno. I just like the word schadenfreude, and get depressingly few opportunities to use it. Would it be ironic if those around me took pleasure in that?

It's like "schwerpunkt". Wonderful word. Never quite manage to drop it into conversations.

One of my best days was when out Finance Director was doing a brain storming session, and asked us all for reasosn that ... blah, blah, blah ... as he wrote them on the board. I suggested "potential floccinaucinihilipilification of our services". That went down well with everyone ... but the FD.

"Gusset". There's another good word.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Schadenfreude - needs a capital letter at the start.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

I'm so happy I'm about to bust a gusset!
Everything, including Windows 10 trying to load the cumulative update, fail and rolling back.
All is right again in my little world. (Until I actually have to buy a new machine).

Fsn, your FD was "out" was he?

Kitty purrrrrr.

DanJ

QuoteYes, I agree and so does my wife, but I am stubborn

Ah Grasshopper!  Stubbornness in the Face of Microsoft is like p1551ng against a hurricane, a terrible accident waiting to happen.  Rather bent like a reed in river of consumerism and buy new hardware.

FierceKitty

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 22 March 2017, 09:55:42 PM
Ah.... HUBRIS - The art of standing on a mountain top, wearing copper armour, in a thunderstorm and shouting there's no such thing as God/gods.......

That sounds like a definition of bad experimental technique.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

"Do not go gentle into that good night..." in the voice of Rodney Dangerfield.

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 24 March 2017, 10:56:04 AM
That sounds like a definition of bad experimental technique.

The full quote is

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards!"
― Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic

I've attracted enough complete and utter chaos in my time to empathise :)

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data