Windows 10

Started by Lord Kermit of Birkenhead, 28 May 2016, 08:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Some BASIC, later VB, but mostly shell scripting (SCO, HP/UX, et. al) using the utilitarian vi  :)
Perl and AWK too - the details of all these are mostly gone from on-board memory.
Sleep with clean hands ...

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Subedai on 18 August 2016, 10:15:43 PM

The cutouts made fantastic confetti -the bl**dy stuff got everywhere!

Chad, it was called.
My Ego forbids a signature.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: oldblindjohn on 20 August 2016, 01:03:48 AM

I first programmed with punch cards.

Paper tape for me before I graduated to punch cards.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Subedai on 18 August 2016, 10:15:43 PM

I worked for Access (the credit card company) and go back as far as 1972 for computer mainframes, IBM 360 and 370 series to be exact.

Yup, I worked on a 360/50 and later on a 370/155.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Ithoriel on 20 August 2016, 02:30:41 PM

COBOL :)

Started on COBOL in '69 via a remote job entry system in Edinburgh to a mainframe in Newcastle. Was also at College (day release) and didn't half show up the college system who ran your program once a week, errors and all whereas those of us who worked at Ed Uni got all the free time on the Newcastle system we needed so had several runs every week, long enough to sort out any job control problems as well as the coding.

Subedai

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 21 August 2016, 05:36:56 PM
Yup, I worked on a 360/50 and later on a 370/155.

We ran a complete cardholder system of 6 million customers on 2 x 370/155's then went upmarket and the company splashed out on a 370/158. Initially, we had a problem because the early systems ran on IBM DOS whereas the later used IBM OS. We had to use an emulator to get the bl**dy things to work together.

We only ever powered the complete system down on the evening of Christmas Eve and then back up on the evening shift on Boxing Day. That stopped after we had a 'head-crash' when the vacuum on the storage device (name and type escapes me at the moment) was compromised by a tiny split in a 25p plastic hose. Engineers later told us it cost £250,000 to fix. Made a real horrific screeching noise as the reading heads tore through the aluminium (aluminum) surfaces!

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Ithoriel

We once had a system shutdown caused, according to the engineers report, by "an out of range temperature event in an air movement device" ... a fan had caught fire!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Subedai on 21 August 2016, 06:24:54 PM

We ran a complete cardholder system of 6 million customers on 2 x 370/155's then went upmarket and the company splashed out on a 370/158. Initially, we had a problem because the early systems ran on IBM DOS whereas the later used IBM OS. We had to use an emulator to get the bl**dy things to work together.

I think our 370/155 was replaced by a 370/158 after I had moved away to another site which ran an ICL 2980 which eventually shut down in the late 80's. After that lots of little powerful computers started arriving and its still going on.

d_Guy

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 21 August 2016, 05:34:44 PM
Paper tape for me before I graduated to punch cards.

Yup! Same. Punch cards were a massive improvement for debugging.

d_Guy

Welp!
A major Window 10 upgrade occurred during the night.
Boot up this AM was epic! All the nice little messages akin to "The expressway is closed for the next three and a half years, but you are really, really going to like it when it is complete"
First the minor issues:
1) All the desktop icons were rearranged - what ever.
2) Now have the Windows 10 interface without the hybrid Win10/7 option - OK, can adapt.
3) A little window near the start button that says, "Ask me anything!" I typed in "what have you done". Yes, I actually thought it was some new AI feature - it's not - IE/Bing - never mind.
The bigger issues:
1) Currently my machine has the responsiveness of a Brewster Buffaloe with wing tanks.
2) it says my Norton 360 is not compatible with Windows 10. It was when I went to bed but we live in a dynamic world. W10 did helpfully turn on Windows Defender. I'm now getting a new download from Norton to replace the one that just updated yesterday.
3) By far the most annoying: my display is smeared! It looks like the CRT scanning rate is wrong - except this isn't a CRT. What the hell!
I find that my video card (which was compatible only yesterday) is no longer compatible with W10 nor is there a driver that will make it so.

Techno

X_X X_X X_X X_X

Puts my "where the **** have my shortcuts to WPS writer(s) gone this morning", into perspective.

But if Microsoft were doing some 'improvements' last night......I wonder.

There are no new updates from last night showing here.....But I expect that means bog all.
Hope you get it resolved as soon as, Guy.

Cheers - Phil

paulr

W10 asked me today how likely I would be to recommend W10 to a friend or colleague :-\

I was tempted to respond "Not at all likely because it keeps popping up annoying windows like this one", but couldn't be bothered
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Wulf

Quote from: Ithoriel on 21 August 2016, 09:44:20 PMWe once had a system shutdown caused, according to the engineers report, by "an out of range temperature event in an air movement device" ... a fan had caught fire!
Our fire alarm regularly went off in mid-afternoon. Aha, they said, overheating. After a couple of days trying to find the hotspot, they realised the sensor had been installed in winter. In the summer, the sun shone directly on it in mid afternoon...

The high-tech solution was a bit of cardboard taped to the wall beside it...

Techno

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The simplest solution, strikes again !

Cheers - Phil