Windows 10

Started by Lord Kermit of Birkenhead, 28 May 2016, 08:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Spending most of this afternoon trying to fix this update problem - down to trying rumored fixes I found on the web thingy.
Last one required a registry edit - which didn't work either - and am now rolling back to the save point.
Meanwhile playing Dungeons and Pendrakens on another thread using my iPad which upgraded to iOS 10 with no decernable problems.
Sleep with clean hands ...

oldblindjohn

Outside of a dog a book is mans' best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

d_Guy

Meanwhile on the Windows 10 front:
Cumulative update KB 3194798 has continued to assault my PoD, day after day, with relentless ferocity. These attacks began on 29 September and despite my many sorties against it during the month of October, it continued to regroup and try the next day. There is at least a blessed twelve hour period each day that quiet reigns and i can resupply and bolster defenses. After that, should I not be vigilant, a new attack comes suddenly and hand to hand combat follows.

Yesterday, November 9, KB3200970 also engaged. My defensive resources are now stretched to the maximum with the time spent defending near doubled. I find that I may soon have to abandon my position altogether.

Techno

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to block ANY updates. (Actually...It hasn't been too bad recently.)

Windows 10.......Hawk.....Spit !!
(Warned ya.)

Cheers - Phil.

d_Guy

Yup, you were right!
I still like Windows 10 in appearance and function and all my apps work well. The update experience is now so miserable, however, I may just quit on it.  >:(

d_Guy

Welp, as of this AM by Win10 machine hangs a login in and simply won't boot to desktop. Have tried several things, go away, come back, no joy! The miserable cumulative update failure as occurred daily since my last post. My problem is I have not found on Apple or Linux the apps I like and I am to old to learn yet another set of stuff! Aaaargh!

At this point will get the cheapest Win10 CPU box and star over! Double Aaaaargh!

Techno

Oh dear !  X_X

Cheers - Phil.

fsn

Do I detect a hint of schadenfruede there, Friend Techno?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

I have a lovely Windows 7 PC with an XP emulator so I can run allied General.

Would I upgrade - not until I am dragged screaming and kicking into the abyss of Windows 10, when none of my programs will work on the existing system
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

d_Guy

Both 7 and XP were the best there ever was! Miss them. (Although 10 was fine until the "black October" cumulative update).

Actually trying now to reload OS from my restore discs - who knows what fresh h*ll this will bring about.
If successful will then need  to restore my critical apps.

My wife switched to Mac six months ago - says she does not want to play system engineer in her declining years!  :)

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 21 March 2017, 06:05:53 PM
Do I detect a hint of schadenfruede there, Friend Techno?

No, no, Nobby !!......You know how much I hated W10.....

Definitely sympathy for Bill, though.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

My Win7 PC was already showing it's age when it came to playing games so when it died a death I spent more than was sensible on a Win 10 gaming machine ,,, and resurrected the old machine with a backup and an older smaller hard drive so I now have a WIn 7 machine for email and net surfing and a Win 10 one for gaming. The system is working well ... so far!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Presumably a NEW win 10 machine has no trouble with the demonic win 10 cumulative update?
I think that that is reserved for users that are still on machines older than 5 years.

Ithoriel

So far, it blasts through updates at an amazing rate.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

DanJ

For what it's worth I've a Windows 10 laptop and it works fine and I've had no issues with updates, however I bought it as a factory install when my faithful old W7 started playing up and refused to run Lightroom 6.

I've now reached the age when time is too precious to waste trying to get PCs to work.