ratmen skaven color theme help

Started by zackzeta, 20 May 2016, 05:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zackzeta

hey guys need a bit of help what color do you think i should make the ratmen clothes? i dont have many colors just a the basics. so while some sort of brown would be ideal their fur is already brown any ideas? i thought of a darker green but im not sure. i plan to do simple coats of colors then going over them with a black wash and maybe some dry brushing

Leon

Rust/maroon or beige?  Something just slightly different, enough to distinguish between clothes and fur.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

zackzeta

that would probably work but this is the paint set i have

also a citadel screaming skull

i mean maybe screaming skull could work with a wash?

Leon

Quote from: zackzeta on 20 May 2016, 06:02:50 PM
i mean maybe screaming skull could work with a wash?

That'd work for me.  You've also got a yellow ochre in there, and a flat red, for a bit of variety.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

I'd go for something quite different in terms of tone from the fur to make the cloth stand out.

Matt J

I tend to paint my rat fur more grey than brown, look at a rat they aren t that brown in most cases. Then paint the clothing browns, rust colours, ochres etc
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Bodvoc

I would go for a whole rag tag mix of fur colours and clothing colours to create a rat rabble look.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Maenoferren

Quote from: Bodvoc on 20 May 2016, 09:10:54 PM
I would go for a whole rag tag mix of fur colours and clothing colours to create a rat rabble look.
That is the way I would go too.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

fred.

A mix of colours is good, but sticking to a few shades helps give a bit of coherence to the unit.

If you go with grey fur, start with a dark grey and paint a few, then add in a little white and paint a few more, then lighten it further and paint a few more. You then might want to go back to a mid grey, and add a touch of brown to give a different base colour, then paint a few with this, then progressively lighten this colour on different groups.

Similarly with clothes going with Matt's basic colours have a starting colour do a group in that colour, then some in a darker shade and some in a lighter shade.  Remember to mix up the fur colour groups when doing the clothing colours - as you don't want all the dark grey ones with pale ochre clothes! You want some of each fur colour with each clothing colour.

Having a military set of colours to work with is probably good for Ratmen - you want more grubby colours. Remember to mix up colours to get new shades - you aren't doing uniforms so variation is good.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

Purple, you can't go wrong with purple - eek! eek!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Us Rats is BROWN

EEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!