NOT - DUNE

Started by JaymisHawk, 18 May 2016, 04:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaymisHawk

Anyone thought about doing a Sci-Fi / Fantasy take on the "warring Houses in the Imperium" idea? Banners, short swords, pistols, padded armour and heavy lasguns etc? Been re-reading all the Dune books and the feel and aesthetic plus the descriptions of uniforms, weapons, vehicles and characters have never been accurately shown on screen but I think would make excellent miniatures.

I.E

Sarduakar - Grey, Black, Silver, Gold WWII Germans with high crested helmets.
Atredies - Rorke's Drift style uniform, Green, Black, Red with Flat Military Caps.
Harkonnen - Blue Padded Armour, Greaves, Gauntlets (no description of headwear sadly)

Any thoughts?
"It'll be fine!" - The last words the misses heard me utter before Cthulhu devoured us in Arkham Horror!

jchaos79

That is a great idea! very fresh

Subedai

I read them all about 20 years ago and had a similar idea. You've made me realise that the idea at the time was as far as it ever got. Would be interested in seeing this one come to fruition.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

JaymisHawk

Quote from: jchaos79 on 22 May 2016, 07:14:34 PM
That is a great idea! very fresh

Thank you :) I've spent ages working on kind of Encyclopedia type project for Dune based on actual book descriptions. The eventual goal (if I ever get around to it) is to start some basic concept art work and you never know, if anyone does decide to do another film or TV series, maybe try and get some of the concepts across. I couldn't sit through another leather clad adaption.
"It'll be fine!" - The last words the misses heard me utter before Cthulhu devoured us in Arkham Horror!

JaymisHawk

Quote from: Subedai on 22 May 2016, 07:55:58 PM
I read them all about 20 years ago and had a similar idea. You've made me realise that the idea at the time was as far as it ever got. Would be interested in seeing this one come to fruition.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I understand it's a massive project to get off the ground but I think the results would be worth it.

fsn

Hmmmm ... sort of Mongo too., with the various gaudily clad armed contingents. I likes this idea, but please, no Brian Blessed!

We can all sing along "dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum ... FLASH ... ah-ah ... he's wanted for a miracle ..."

(Yes, I know that will be stuck in your head now, and I'm not sorry.)

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You HAVE to have Brian (I once punched a polar bear) Blessed!  :D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

JaymisHawk

Quote from: fsn on 23 May 2016, 08:15:36 AM
Hmmmm ... sort of Mongo too., with the various gaudily clad armed contingents. I likes this idea, but please, no Brian Blessed!

We can all sing along "dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum ... FLASH ... ah-ah ... he's wanted for a miracle ..."

(Yes, I know that will be stuck in your head now, and I'm not sorry.)

A Flash Gordon type Necromunda or Gorkamorka Game would be awesome :)

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: mad lemmey on 23 May 2016, 08:36:25 AM
You HAVE to have Brian (I once punched a polar bear) Blessed!  :D

Gordon's ALIVE?!!!

Badger, badger, badger, badger;
Save the badgers...  :d

O:-)

(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )