I was one of the 14 votes for Pendraken. Who else voted? ;)

Started by lehcyfer, 17 May 2016, 09:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Tawa

I stopped buying WI a long time ago, and then decided not to start buying it again when it became Battlefronts very own white dwarf......
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Ithoriel

Interesting chat with the guy from MI at Falkirk, where he was lamenting the fact that Battlefront provide them with copy, graphics, photos and press releases in profusion and nobody else sends stuff of the same quality so they have lots of Battlefront stuff, so people think that's all they do so nobody else sends stuff ...

That said, I got the latest two issues to read on the bus back and had read everything of interest in about fifteen minutes.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Quick chaps, get submitting! A Warband article and a BBB in 10mm article every month shouldn't be hard ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Roy

A mate I know submitted a wargaming article that featured in a magazine. However, the magazine held back the article till they could get figures professionally painted to illustrate the article for eye candy.

This article I mention that got published was meant to be the first of three. But, the painter, who professionally painted the couple of figures for the article that got published, then decided not to paint any more for the magazine. So the magazine then said they didn't want to publish the two further gaming articles, as they needed to include eye candy images matching those already shown, and since the figure painter had said no, they, the magazine, couldn't therefore print. So my mate's articles were refused.

Another mate was begged for photo content from (possibly the same magazine) to which he went out of his way to aid them, in understanding that his name would be accredited to the images that would be used as 'eye candy' for an article.
The work got published. The magazine got the name wrong. My mate missed out on work from the (advertising) content.

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fsn

Hmmmm. I have been reflecting and wonder if it's I think it's a bit like saying "who's your favourite football team?" in the Manchester United fanzine.

One of the reasons I stopped buying WI was because it was going the way of White Dwarf from a general mag to an extended advert for a few favoured manufactures.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

skywalker

Our club, Redcar Ironbeards subjected an article to WI about how a small club with very limited modelling talent put on demonstration games at shows. It focused on showing an average club and the fact that playing the game doesn't mean you have to have fantastically painted miniatures and beautifully crafted terrain to enjoy the hobby. The curt response we got back said the report just looked like a group of mates having a game and they would not publish it. I know eye candy sells but some people who are not very good at the painting and modelling side of the hobby still want to play.
Years ago there was a series in White Dwarf about collecting a Bretonian army by Nigel Stillman and he admitted that he was a very average painter but they printed the article without any repainting of the miniatures. The editior at the time was keen to promote all aspects of Games Workshop and admited that not everyone could paint well and he hoped the articiles would encourage others to join in.

Oh and to get back on thread I did vote for Pendraken  :D :D :D

Tawa

Quote from: skywalker on 22 May 2016, 09:54:25 AMYears ago there was a series in White Dwarf about collecting a Bretonian army by Nigel Stillman and he admitted that he was a very average painter but they printed the article without any repainting of the miniatures. The editior at the time was keen to promote all aspects of Games Workshop and admited that not everyone could paint well and he hoped the articiles would encourage others to join in.

I remember that article! I was made up with it as my painting is s***e!  ;D
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Leman

Isn't the whole point of wargaming a bunch of mates having a game, or have I missed something?

skywalker

That is true Leman, it's just people who produce magazines these days want to portray a perfect world not the one that most wargamers exist in =O =O

Leman

Maybe they should get into railway modelling instead. I mean, I like an attractive wargames table but it still has to be playable on, and usually has to be set up and taken down in an evening.

d_Guy

Quote from: Leman on 23 May 2016, 02:38:45 PM
Maybe they should get into railway modelling instead.
Interesting point. What little bit I did in model railroading involved laying out a mainline oval with several sidings and switches (you may call them something different), a few industrial buildings and no scenery.  All the fun was in operations, solving switching problems, that sort of thing. The glossy mags in either hobby are wonderful to look at but I think that there are many folks (as has been said) in both hobbies just doing the basics and getting to the game playing as quick as they can.  Explains the attraction of video games and the high production quality boardgames.

One of the reasons I like this forum is that a lot of us "common folk" find encouragement here  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Techno

Quote from: d_Guy on 23 May 2016, 05:04:51 PM
One of the reasons I like this forum is that a lot of us "common folk"........

Who's going to get the first insult in ?

Cheers - Phil