Movement tray sabots SP2

Started by Nosher, 15 May 2016, 04:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Leon made me some sabots with 1p and 2p holes to convert various command figures to command bases for Warband. Very straight forward, and the end result looks good.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Wulf

How much of a gap do you recommend between holes, at a minimum? I'm trying to decide whether to have two rows 'square' (as illustrated in the first post), or 'zig-zag' staggered so the back row doesn't stick their bayonets in the front row's earholes...

I'll be looking for a couple dozen with 6 12mm holes in to rows of 3, and a couple dozen with 8 holes in two rows of 4, either way...

I thought these washers were 10mm diameter, they're not, they're 12mm...

Leon

Quote from: Wulf on 19 May 2016, 11:40:46 PM
How much of a gap do you recommend between holes, at a minimum? I'm trying to decide whether to have two rows 'square' (as illustrated in the first post), or 'zig-zag' staggered so the back row doesn't stick their bayonets in the front row's earholes...

For circles, you can get away with as little as 0.5-1mm as the shapes curve away from each other and there's not much stress on the closest point.  With squares, you want a little more, so 2mm or above to give some strength to that strip of MDF. 

An alternative is to remove the dividing strip altogether, so for your first base, you'd have a hole of 36mm x 12mm to allow 3 bases to sit in it.  This option depends on how you want them to look, close ranked or spread out?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

bradpitre

Good evening!!
I would be very interested in a series of stand for "Blücher" (perhaps 60)
the ideal would be 64mm front x 50mm deep with a reservation of 60mm x 40mm in 2mm forward and two cuts of 5mm x 5mm at the rear to place the loss dice ........ Does this seem possible?
no solid basis, I prefer to find more ending

éric
je suis contre les femmes............tout contre!!!!

2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!

Leon

Quote from: bradpitre on 20 May 2016, 06:52:00 PM
the ideal would be 64mm front x 50mm deep with a reservation of 60mm x 40mm in 2mm forward and two cuts of 5mm x 5mm at the rear to place the loss dice ........ Does this seem possible?
no solid basis, I prefer to find more ending

That would be fine, not a problem at all.  We normally make the internal hole a little bigger, to make sure your bases fit in easily.  This would mean an internal space of 61x41mm.  Would it be OK to increase the external size to 65x51mm?  This would allow a 2mm margin around all of your bases.

Also, do you want the two dice holes on the same side, or one on each side at the rear of the base?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

bradpitre

Hello,
great !!, the two holes for the dice the same side would be perfect, and it would take 70 like this one
in addition, the artillery would require 30 base 65mm x 41mm with hole of 61mm x 31mm in the front and 6 holes of 5mm x 5mm distributed to the rear, this would be perfect if possible

eric
je suis contre les femmes............tout contre!!!!

2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!

Leon

Quote from: bradpitre on 21 May 2016, 04:04:16 PM
Hello,
great !!, the two holes for the dice the same side would be perfect, and it would take 70 like this one
in addition, the artillery would require 30 base 65mm x 41mm with hole of 61mm x 31mm in the front and 6 holes of 5mm x 5mm distributed to the rear, this would be perfect if possible

No worries, can you send me the quantities and dimensions by email, and we'll get everything sorted for you.

8)

Wulf

Speaking of which, did you get my email Leon?

Fenton

SP2 in 10mm?

Interesting idea
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leon

Quote from: Wulf on 22 May 2016, 03:10:02 PM
Speaking of which, did you get my email Leon?

Yep, all received, I'll pop a reply through on Monday.

8)

Wulf

Quote from: Fenton link=topic=14229.msg203157#msg203157 date=1463926488SP2 in 10mm?

Interesting idea
/quote]It works, although it's undeniably fiddly. I have played Chain of Command with 10mm too, and that's worse as it includes building interiors (SP & SP2 could as well, but I never have). The main thing to me is to simplify the minis, with all figures of one type being identical in colours, and differentiated by a single colour reference - the plume on their hat, a ring of colour around the base, etc. I'm not actually very interested in the period as history, only in the game, so uniforms of the period are just too complex for me to remember, so I just paint them something representative.

Well, I will some day... right now there's more undercoat than finished colour...

ronan

Quote from: Fenton on 22 May 2016, 03:14:48 PM
SP2 in 10mm?

Interesting idea

I'm also thinking to go this way ( as soon as I find some time ...  :'( )
- I can reuse my terrains ( We already game CoC in 10mm)
- I like the scale ( we play 1inch = 2cm instead of 2,54cm. Easier to convert, and looks good)
- and .. I like Pendraken's mini  ;)

So I'm watching this thread.

fred.

I'm a bit confused by Sharp Practice and its basing. I was assuming as a skirmish game it would be single based 28mm figures. But you guys are discussing sabots and I have seen some photos of 6mm figures on largish sabots for SP - probably 4x2 20x20mm bases.

So is SP individual based troops or is it a small unit with fugure removal, or something else?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

jimduncanuk

Quote from: fred. on 22 May 2016, 07:01:34 PM
I'm a bit confused by Sharp Practice and its basing. I was assuming as a skirmish game it would be single based 28mm figures. But you guys are discussing sabots and I have seen some photos of 6mm figures on largish sabots for SP - probably 4x2 20x20mm bases.

So is SP individual based troops or is it a small unit with fugure removal, or something else?

It's both.

Sabot bases are best though!
My Ego forbids a signature.

Wulf

Quote from: fred. on 22 May 2016, 07:01:34 PM
I'm a bit confused by Sharp Practice and its basing. I was assuming as a skirmish game it would be single based 28mm figures.
The game uses single based figures, scale is normally illustrated as 28mm, but that's not vital ( I don't know what the 'ground scale' is, but in Chain of Command it's 15mm). When groups form up into Formations, it's common, and handy, to use sabot bases to move them as a Formation. Apart from making life easier moving the minis around, Formations give bonuses to firepower.Most groups are 8 or 10 men - groups of larger or smaller numbers, including groups that have taken losses, are in the rules, but ether those don't create Formations or can just be represented on one of the sabot with gaps left. I'm going for sabot with 8 holes & 10 holes.