Movement tray sabots SP2

Started by Nosher, 15 May 2016, 04:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

I know other MDF base suppliers do such items but frankly I've been left disappointed at their quallity.

Is there any chance of rectangular 2mm MDF movement sabots with circular slots for 2mm mdf bases in one penny piece diameters such as the below:

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Wulf

I use 10mm washers as bases... just saying...  :-[

Leon

That's no bother at all, if you can you drop me an email with the external dimensions and how many you want, and we'll get those sorted out for you.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

d_Guy

Leon,
Out of curiosity are you interested in doing even more customized sabots? Specifically various curvilinear shapes with a varying number of holes. Not sure that I could buy enough to make it worth your while (unless your laser set-up cost is trivial  :))
Sleep with clean hands ...

Leon

Quote from: d_Guy on 17 May 2016, 04:06:43 AM
Out of curiosity are you interested in doing even more customized sabots? Specifically various curvilinear shapes with a varying number of holes. Not sure that I could buy enough to make it worth your while (unless your laser set-up cost is trivial  :))

We do want to start producing a whole range of movement trays, it's just finding the time to sit and design them all.  Our software is slightly limited though in that it only really does polygons and circles, so anything irregular for skirmish troops is difficult to do.  We were looking for a designer for lasercutting earlier this year, to make everything easier, but didn't have any luck finding anyone.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

d_Guy

Thanks Leon - this is a down-the-road project for me so you may actually be producing them by then :)
I will being using US pennies for bases but it sounds like cutting a smaller diameter is no problem for you.

Another question for anyone. Since the 2mm MDF is cut all the way through (I assume), is a thin veneer then added to one side to make the tray bottom?

Leon

Quote from: d_Guy on 17 May 2016, 07:47:16 PM
Another question for anyone. Since the 2mm MDF is cut all the way through (I assume), is a thin veneer then added to one side to make the tray bottom?

The trays are usually 2 sheets of MDF, so they are 4mm high overall.  The top sheet has the cutouts, the bottom sheet is solid.  I think some companies offer a bottom sheet in a thinner plywood, but those tend to be more expensive and then don't match with other companies trays heightwise.

Genom

I'm sure I've seen someone offering just the top layer as well, so that you can stick it onto magnetic sheet/steel sheet etc.

fred.

Yes, I've seen those too. Though the overall base may be rather flimsy. With a solid 2mm base the figures really stay in place, when you pick up the tray.

I was initially a bit worried about the total thickness, but once you are playing you don't notice.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Wulf

What quantities would PD be willing to produce custom sabot bases in? I'd be looking for bases with 8 & 10 10mm diameter holes (in 2 rows), but I'd only need a couple of dozen of each, maximum (and with no 'blank' baseplate, a 4mm base is too thick for my liking).

I was going to produce my own with holes punched in cardboard...

Wulf

Quote from: Wulf on 18 May 2016, 08:56:27 AM
What quantities would PD be willing to produce custom sabot bases in?
Just realised which forum this is on...

What quantities would MINIBITS be willing to produce custom sabot bases in?  =)

d_Guy

Quote from: Wulf on 18 May 2016, 03:03:08 PM
Just realised which forum this is on...

;D well done!

Leon

Quote from: Wulf on 18 May 2016, 03:03:08 PM

Minimum order of 1 please!  We do custom trays quite regularly for various customers, so just drop me an email with your requirements and we'll get them sorted out for you.

Wulf

Quote from: Leon on 18 May 2016, 06:38:24 PM
Minimum order of 1 please! 
But I only want the top half!  :'(

OK, will consider exactly what I'm looking for & order. Unlike many, I haven't fully digested SP2 yet, so I'm not certain...

Leon

Quote from: Wulf on 18 May 2016, 09:59:58 PM
But I only want the top half!  :'(

OK, will consider exactly what I'm looking for & order. Unlike many, I haven't fully digested SP2 yet, so I'm not certain...

No worries, and just the top half is not a problem.