Basing for Kings of War

Started by wargamingpastor, 03 July 2013, 06:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wargamingpastor

Hi folks, I'm attempting to do a half size Kings of War project at the moment. That means basing 10 fantasy miniatures (undead, elves, dwarves e.t.c but excluding Orcs who get larger bases) in two ranks of 5 on a 50mm x 20mm base.

Do you think they'll fit???

If not I'll just have to have less figures per base, not so bad but I would like to keep it as close to the full size game as possible.

Cheers!

Fenton

For me any set of rules that use big bases and no figure removal for means diorama bases. For me this means not having to have 40+ figures for a hoard but a probably half that with bushes and rocks and stone walls placed on it as well. As long as the base footprint is correct the number of models is unimportant
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

Warmaster uses 40mm x 20mm bases and we got 8  - 12 figures a base no real problem. So 10 on 50mm x 20mm should be OK.

As Fenton says, so long as the base is the right size and it's obvious what it represents total figure count is not that important. Though I like to cram my bases with figures rather than scenery

I have a Warmaster Imperial Skirmishers base which has figures skirmishing around a wrecked cart. While I like the diorama effect it does seem as though either a) the battlefield is littered with wrecked carts or b) they drag the wreckage around with them  :o
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

Good to see another 10mm KoW player - we play the rules as is and use 6 warmaster stands to represent a regiment - works really well even if the base area is a little off from standard 28mm.

As the others have said you should be able to get 5 wide on 50mm - you may have to clip the bases on some of the figures, as in a few ranges (elves and lizardmen) the bases are quite wide compared to the figures.

But going with larger scenic bases really looks good - for cavalry regiment you will have 62x50mm to play with which would give a good space to arrange a charge! Lots of the 28mm players are multi basing for KoW too.

To add another thought to the mix - have you thought about going with inches for cms (rather than half measurements) this reduces distances slightly more, but gives the advantage that an infantry regiment has a 40mm frontage  - which allows standard Warmaster bases to be used. This may not be of interest if you don't have WM units!

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

zackzeta

if anyone still interested in this my freind suggested using warmaster sizes or something close to it so we made 20 x 40 for 20 figs and add more adjacent 40 x 40 for war machines.

lehcyfer

15 May 2016, 06:54:06 PM #5 Last Edit: 15 May 2016, 08:12:01 PM by lehcyfer
A few post down is my thread about 1/4th size KoW with 10mm Pendraken. I almost could fit them on the tiny bases, so you will have no problems with double the size (quadruple the area). Just look for yourself :)