WW1 Base Query

Started by ww2podcast, 07 May 2016, 09:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ww2podcast

Hello,

When I first joined the forum before Christmas it was suggest I'd chosen the wrong scale for WW2 (20mm). Ashamed of my blunder I decided to dip my toe into 10mm with WW1. I picked up a pack at Salute and now am about  to start painting...

My question is about basing. 10mm WW1 what is the most flexible way to do it covering the most numbers of rule sets? I was going to start out with Through the Mud and the Blood which works with individually based figures, but if I decide to play a different rule set that might not be best?

Supreme littleness (http://www.supremelittleness.co.uk/sld-bases/penny-sabot-bases.htm) make some sabot bases for 1p coins, might that be a good solution to cover a potential rule change?

Your thoughts gratefully received.

Angus

Leman

It might be a way to go, but with 10mm I think I'd be looking at the 17mm (Euro cent) bases. I have found that with the current crop of rules the 25mm square seems to work best to give the most flexibility - BBB, GWSH2, ITLSU and even TTMAB - a base is a base is a base whether it has one figure or 4 on it.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fred.

I would avoid single based 10mm figures, they tend to be a bit too small and fiddly, or the base is huge in comparison to the figure.

But basing 2 or 3 on a small base works well, a 1p or I have used 30x15mm with 2 figures for Chain of Command.

With WWI you need to give some consideration to trenches - if you want to be able to put troops actually in modelled trenches then you want fairly narrow bases, otherwise your trenches need to be very wide. If your trenches are going to be more representational then its less of a problem.

Sabot bases work well I use them for various rulesets. Just be aware of the way the coin sized bases fit together - sometimes surprisingly few fit on a given size of rectangular base.

As Leman says a 1" square base is a good size as you can join them together to make bigger sizes easily, and they work as is for many sets of rules.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

ww2podcast

Thanks guys...

Perhaps x2 on a 1p and sabots might be a compromise, I can get my trenches a bit thinner then.

I did consider making some 10mm magnetic bases and some sabot bases to go with them, which probably would come in at 1" Square. But I'm not sure I'd actually have the time to knock a load up...

Food for thought...

Thanks again.
Angus

Leman

I have used multiple mounts on 1p in 10mm to represent one 28mm base.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!