The Problem with Speaking English

Started by Orcs, 04 May 2016, 08:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

1.Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
2.Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
3.Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
4.Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
5.Germans drink beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Zippee

I think you'll find if you distil the "us" you speak of to separate the Scots from the English, then the statements you list all become false (unless you Scottish) :D

fsn

I work in Liverpool. Lots of people don't speak English - they speak Scouse. This is totally unintelligible, but may be a distant cousin of Gnomish.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

I told you, Nobby......

There's the tiniest hint of Scouse in your speech now.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Tawa

The other half is from Liverpool.
When we first got together I asked if she had any Scottish or Irish in her.......
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Leman

Very likely if she's a scouser. Proper Celtic city it is. My Mrs was pure Irish descent so both my kids are half Irish - what a DNA cauldron they have.
I only didn't live in Merseyside between the ages of 9 and 22, so if Ian's from the Wirral and doesn't sound like a scouser then either he wasn't born there, went to private school or is just fibulating. I can't tell the difference between John Lennon's accent and Paul O'Grady's - one's from Allerton and the other's from Birkenhead.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Subedai

One of my sons has a friend who's from the Wirral who absolutely hates it if someone calls him a Scouser. I can't tell the difference in the dialects at all.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Each area of Merseyside has a slightly different accent. I don't have a pronounced scouse accent cause Mum was from Barnet, and I spent three years living in Ilkley. I can do one though, great for annoying offshore call centres.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Love it  ;D ;D ;D. Must try my best Speke speak next time the sub-continent calls.

Malbork

QuoteOne of my sons has a friend who's from the Wirral who absolutely hates it if someone calls him a Scouser. I can't tell the difference in the dialects at all.

This is not surprising as he is a Woolyback  ;)

Westmarcher

I once had to call some large corporate business or govt. department (can't recall - it was so long ago.) and to get through to a human being, I had to answer a few questions asked by a machine. Although I speak with a West of Scotland accent, having worked for a lot of English based companies in the past, I usually have no difficulty in communicating with my fellow Brits. However, no matter what reply I gave to the machine's questions, it could not understand the number 3. So, when asked again for my ref. number, in utter desperation, I replied in my best cockney accent (saying 'free' instead of 'three') - and, finally, my answer was understood!    :o
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Quote from: Malbork on 11 May 2016, 11:11:10 AM
This is not surprising as he is a Woolyback  ;)
If he's from the Wirral he's a Tunnel Rat. Woolybacks are from places like Wigan and Bolton.

Malbork

I've been away too long Leman  :(

When I was at school in the 70/80s we used Woolyback for those from the Wirral too.

Roy

11 May 2016, 12:52:44 PM #14 Last Edit: 11 May 2016, 12:54:44 PM by RoyWilliamson
Re: Scottish accents.

Once had to ring up the Yorkshire Bank in Leeds over an issue with a cheque. I ended up speaking to a Scottish bloke and I couldn't understand a word he said due to his regional accent - I had to get a family member to interpret for me. It was obvious that the bloke was peeved at all the rigmarole that ensued.

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}