Any demand for early war Americans ?

Started by Sunray, 28 April 2016, 11:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Quote from: Womble67 on 30 April 2016, 12:27:41 AM
I'm a member of the Grimsby Wargamess Society and will ask for you on Monday

Take care

Andy

Thanks Andy. I have just unearthed issue 35 of Wargames Illustrated (August 1990) and it confirms that the Wake Island demo game was indeed a Grimsby Wargames Club effort masterminded by Colin Rumford (most wargamers will know him from his Rapid Fire rules).  What a ambassador for our hobby the Grimsby crew were back then.

Colin actually got Tony Chadburne of Raventhorpe Minatures to cast up some Japanese landing craft especially for the game !

Now that's service for you.

A few cabin style huts, 1/144 hellcats, a table with the archipelago of flat islands (dead easy terrain) , the Japanese,

All we need are a few 1941 US Marines .

Ithoriel

So at least 26 years ago since I saw the game. I'd assumed it was about half that! I feel old now ... OK, I feel even older :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Sunray

Quote from: Ithoriel on 30 April 2016, 10:14:03 AM
So at least 26 years ago since I saw the game. I'd assumed it was about half that! I feel old now ... OK, I feel even older :)

Yes, it is scary how the years fly, yet the memories of things 20+ years ago remain sharp- apart from names etc.  Grimsby and Deal were the two clubs whose demo game I always sought out at a show when I lived in England.

I still have a few 1/200 Wild Geese Miniatures (Vietnam and SCW) I bought at Armageddon 89 (was that the year it changed to Colours?)
They are quite tall for 1/200 and a few make it into current 10mm games. 

I will see if I can get an image of the Wake Island game up on the forum- worth 1,000 words in the campaign for 1941 Marines.