Any demand for early war Americans ?

Started by Sunray, 28 April 2016, 11:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

We'd have lasted about half an hour against the Japanese if we'd tried it.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 28 April 2016, 07:38:22 PM
Not wanting to get caught in a historical and semantic quagmire  I'd like to endorse the request for these Americans. Apart from China and the Philippines there are lots of small actions and/or what ifs.

Seconded

Quote from: fsn on 28 April 2016, 12:21:16 PM
How do the WWI American stack up?

No BAR but a Chauchat.

They need M1 Garand rifles as well as BAR, certainly for the Philipines
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

You know, I could get interested. (There's a surprise.)

Springfield rather than Garand, water cooled Browning MG.

Yup. Sounds like it could be a nice counterpoint to the late war marines.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Water cooled Browning lasted until Korea. And last night a club member declared you couldn'a tell the difference between a Springfield and an SMLE in 15mm. Any truth in the rumor that Phil designed the Battlefront WWI stuff ?

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Nope !

Not me, Guv. (Unless someone's sold them an old range I made years ago......If you're talking 15mm.....Definitely not me.)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My grandpa was on Iceland with the RAF.
Said he never wanted to see it again!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

Quote from: fsn on 29 April 2016, 07:59:30 AM
You know, I could get interested. (There's a surprise.)

Springfield rather than Garand, water cooled Browning MG.

Yup. Sounds like it could be a nice counterpoint to the late war marines.

It was a little reading of the campaign that got my attention. The Yanks and local troops did very well to hold out for so long.

There is also Wake Island -  I remember a wargames club (was it Grimsby?) that had a very attractive 25mm demo game that they took around the shows about 20 years ago.  The islands were condensed to table top, and looked shrunk- but it would work so well in 10mm.  Does any other veteran wargamer remember seeing the Wake island game ?   

Orcs

29 April 2016, 01:32:01 PM #22 Last Edit: 29 April 2016, 01:34:51 PM by Just a few Orcs
Quote from: Westmarcher on 28 April 2016, 03:13:00 PM
:-\

I think I have the solution. How about calling it the "sorry we're late" range?

NO! lets get things correct they should be the "Sorry we are late AGAIN range" :D :D

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

Not the "Is this a private war or can anyone join in" range then JafO? :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Sunray

It was Raventhorpe Minatures who did the 20mm range called "US Marines Early War Wake Island or Battan".
17 figures including a sailor - they are still listed and illustrated on the Raventhorpe website.

Yes- Wake Island would be a hell of a game in 10mm.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Eureka make them in 15mm as well. Listed as 1941 marines which neatly avoids the quagmire. Very nice figures too.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Sunray

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 29 April 2016, 09:19:28 PM
Hello

Eureka make them in 15mm as well. Listed as 1941 marines which neatly avoids the quagmire. Very nice figures too.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Hmmmm.  :-\ Very nice sculpts.  As you say -  1941 avoids any pedantic quagmire.

I see the U S Marines are sculpted with  the Boys ATR and the Savage version of the .30-06 Lewis. 

Yes - if Pendraken produced these in 10mm, I would buy a battle group.

Womble67

Quote from: Sunray on 29 April 2016, 11:55:25 AM
It was a little reading of the campaign that got my attention. The Yanks and local troops did very well to hold out for so long.

There is also Wake Island -  I remember a wargames club (was it Grimsby?) that had a very attractive 25mm demo game that they took around the shows about 20 years ago.  The islands were condensed to table top, and looked shrunk- but it would work so well in 10mm.  Does any other veteran wargamer remember seeing the Wake island game ?   

I'm a member of the Grimsby Wargamess Society and will ask for you on Monday

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

I remember he game (it was stunning!) but not who put it on.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

DaveH

Quote from: Sunray on 29 April 2016, 08:21:45 PM
It was Raventhorpe Minatures who did the 20mm range called "US Marines Early War Wake Island or Battan".
17 figures including a sailor - they are still listed and illustrated on the Raventhorpe website.

Yes- Wake Island would be a hell of a game in 10mm.

East Riding Miniatures do a set of them in the old Platoon 20 range too.