Any demand for early war Americans ?

Started by Sunray, 28 April 2016, 11:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I have a battle group of Pendraken Japanese.  I have also been taking an interest in the Fight for the Philippines 1941-42.  In terms of the actions, the 'battle of the points" and the "battle of the pockets" reveal that it was not a Japanese walkover and USAFFE put us a spirited 105 day resistance.

Would there be any demand for a small range of early war Americans ? (British style helmet, the Montana hat, tropical uniform, Springfield rifle, BAR, and Browning HMG).

The Stuart tank and  the 37mm ATG are already on the shelf and I am sure some period expert on the forum can brief us on what vehicles the USAFF would have had.  Too early for the jeep?

The wide range in troop quality means this scenario will game well with BKC rules.

Wulf

They weren't IN the early war...

(interesting period though)

FierceKitty

Ask anyone in Hollywood; it doesn't count until there are Americans involved.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

How do the WWI American stack up?

No BAR but a Chauchat.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Roy

Quote... ...

Depends on when you think WW2 started, and who by. Normally it is considered the Germans on 1st Sept. '39, but conflict had been waging in Asia before that date and would continue until the end of the hostilities in '45.

If with the Second Sino-Japanese War, in 1937, then you could, probably, argue for the inclusion of US 'advisers' to the Chinese in the Early Period of WW2. Obviously this isn't what this topic is addressing, however.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Steve J

I would like some if only for some 'what if?' conflicts.

Sunray

28 April 2016, 02:57:55 PM #6 Last Edit: 28 April 2016, 03:01:01 PM by Sunray
Quote from: Wulf on 28 April 2016, 11:16:43 AM
They weren't IN the early war...

Its a relative question. I often chucked it to undergraduates in a tutorial. The 1941 campaigns were early war actions for the Americans.   Any figures sculpted will be known as early war Americans.

Now if you compare the British, Polish and French war experiences with say , the Chinese, you can rightly say  that none of those three nations were involved in the "Early war".

The Second World War started at different dates for different nations.  Now sod the pedantic history - whose interested in the figures.

Actually Roy makes a good point.  Advisors from 1937. I am sure Grumpy would love to see some Chinese troops sometime?

Westmarcher

:-\

I think I have the solution. How about calling it the "sorry we're late" range?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mart678

Try what if Thailand  had fought the Japanese the Thia's also fought the Vichy French also Russians for your Japanese to fight

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Not wanting to get caught in a historical and semantic quagmire  I'd like to endorse the request for these Americans. Apart from China and the Philippines there are lots of small actions and/or what ifs.

Quote from: Sunray on 28 April 2016, 02:57:55 PM

Actually Roy makes a good point.  Advisors from 1937. I am sure Grumpy would love to see some Chinese troops sometime?

Chinese would be OK too but I'm quite happy with my ww1 British and Austrian proxies. Infantry in lemon squeezers or helmeted landing parties would be handier though.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Roy

I've actually a hankering to collect the IJA, but haven't considered who I'd also collect as their opponents. So 1942 US forces could be of interest to me.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

toxicpixie

Would they be useful for the Allied invasion of Iceland? Only one combat action but that punch was a good solid whack!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Sunray

Quote from: toxicpixie on 28 April 2016, 09:45:23 PM
Would they be useful for the Allied invasion of Iceland? Only one combat action but that punch was a good solid whack!

My favourite story is the British Consul Shepherd, who arrived at the quay and found a large crowd of Icelanders.  He sounds a right Sergeant Wilson Public School type as he turned to the Icelandic police and said "I say, you wouldn't mind getting these crowds back a bit, so we can [invade] get the troops ashore?"

There was a threat of a German airlift. Now if you run the scenario of a German airborne operation you could have a Crete of the North Atlantic .....(Operation Ikarus)   

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Surely there's lots of scope for historical and what ifs with the Banana Wars:-

And serendipitously the rules Yanks on the Yangtze have been having a revival of interest:-

http://www.blazeaway.com.au/Rules.html

They are skirmish but you modify them for base style games.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan