19th Century Austrian band!

Started by Leon, 26 April 2016, 01:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

You can bog off, too, Westie.  :P  ;)
Cheers - Phil

mollinary

Getting back to the point, how will these be marketed?  Will there be multiples of some figures, and just one of others (band master, bass drummer and dog, for example)?  Will a number of the existing Austrian side drummer be included?  A set of 15, or 30, or another number?

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Need a lot more for Mahler than for Mozart, of course.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Quote from: Techno on 28 April 2016, 10:18:25 AM
You can bog off, too, Westie.  :P  ;)
Cheers - Phil
Oboes at dawn, chaps?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Since we're talking about bands how about a 19th c pipe band? Piper, base drum, side drum, drum major - each in full dress and field dress (so eight figures) - or also throw in a goat or a Shetland pony or even an Irish wolf hound.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leman

I can think of one C19th Austrian who definitely should have been banned.

FierceKitty

You don't like Johann Strauss?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

It's a well known fact that I just made up that Techno was the original Jinging Johnny.

It was on a sunny day in 1603, when Techno hard of the death of William Kempe, the esteemed actor of William Shakespeare's company who had basically been kicked out and later morris danced from London to Norwich in what he called his "9 days wonder". Hearing of the loss of a man he had known from a youth, (Techno was well known for handling women's around the Globe),Techno decided upon a morris dance in Kempe's honour. Not planning anything as dramatic as the 100 miles of Kempe's feat, Techno set off to the pub.

In his full morris dancing regalia (white breeches, white shirt slashed to show his amazing ... physique, black hat bedecked with flowers and tiny bells dangling from every limb)  our master modeller stepped lively from his hearth and turned right.

Six months later a bedraggled and very thirsty morris dancer approached the gates of a Janissary encampment somewhere near Baghdad. This detachment of grizzled Ottoman veterans had the tiresome task of running to ground a bunch of brigands who were both elusive and cunning. The nonplussed guard confronted the wretched figure in Arabic, Turkish and French (he was a well educated chap). In despair, he summoned his comrade who tried Farsi, Persian and finally English.

"What you want Johnny?" He asked, in his English which some would consider broken, but these people should reflect their ability to greet strange folk dancers in a language not their own. Techno, for it was he, burbled something inchoherent - well more incoherent than normal, and burped sand over his feet.

"What did he say?" Asked the first guard. By some quirk of Fate and a twisted author, the first guard and the second guard, although both polylingual, had no languages in common, so conversed exclusively by sign.

"Who cares?" replied the second, and laid hand upon the weary traveller.

The next day, Techno was led to a clearing in the desert. The Janissaries concealed themselves in the ... scenery and Techno was encouraged by prods from a well concealed bayonet to show off his Molly. Well, after about three or four hours, the strange sight of a man clad in white, prancing away like barefoot puppy on a glacier, handkerchiefs flying, bells tinkling to his capering drew attention. The brigands approached, and seeing no end to the dance, were drawn nearer and nearer until at the sound of a horn the Janissaries jumped out of hiding and slew the brigands to a man.

Thus Techno became the good luck charm of the Janissary unit. He marched at their head, bells tinkling, for several years, but then his thoughts turned to home. He thought that perhaps he'd left the kettle on. He became more and more miserable, and more and more homesick, until, unable to bear it he planned his escape.

One night, very carefully, he drew off his morris gear, and arrayed it upon a contraption of thin rods and poles. Then with this dummy as distraction, the real dummy slipped from the camp and headed home. At the first crossroads, he turned right ... but what happened to Techno in Muscovy is another story.

The next day, the Janissaries, seeing their good luck mascot had disappeared were largely unconcerned. The took his morris gear on it's framework, added a few more bells and a natty red top, and carried it from that day on.

And that, my friends, is how Techno became the original Jingling Johnny.  

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Quote from: d_Guy on 28 April 2016, 12:46:04 PM
- or also throw in a goat or a Shetland pony or even an Irish wolf hound.

I think we all remember nights at those establishments!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Golly, M'Lord, your origin story is all together plausible!  =D> =D>

d_Guy

Quote from: fsn on 28 April 2016, 01:02:25 PM
I think we all remember nights at those establishments!

;D
Along these same lines I'm given to understand that the Bo'ness and Kinneil Fusiliers took as their mascot a steam driven suction pump with multiple fittings.

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 28 April 2016, 12:58:48 PM
It's a well known fact that I just made up that Techno was the original Jinging Johnny.

It was on a sunny day in 1603, when Techno hard of the death of William Kempe, the esteemed actor of William Shakespeare's company who had basically been kicked out and later morris danced from London to Norwich in what he called his "9 days wonder". Hearing of the loss of a man he had known from a youth, (Techno was well known for handling women's around the Globe),Techno decided upon a morris dance in Kempe's honour. Not planning anything as dramatic as the 100 miles of Kempe's feat, Techno set off to the pub.
In his full morris dancing regalia (white breeches, white shirt slashed to show his amazing ... physique, black hat bedecked with flowers and tiny bells dangling from every limb)  our master modeller stepped lively from his hearth and turned right.
Six months later a bedraggled and very thirsty morris dancer approached the gates of a Janissary encampment somewhere near Baghdad. This detachment of grizzled Ottoman veterans had the tiresome task of running to ground a bunch of brigands who were both elusive and cunning. The nonplussed guard confronted the wretched figure in Arabic, Turkish and French (he was a well educated chap). In despair, he summoned his comrade who tried Farsi, Persian and finally English.
"What you want Johnny?" He asked, in his English which some would consider broken, but these people should reflect their ability to greet strange folk dancers in a language not their own. Techno, for it was he, burbled something inchoherent - well more incoherent than normal, and burped sand over his feet.
"What did he say?" Asked the first guard. By some quirk of Fate and a twisted author, the first guard and the second guard, although both polylingual, had no languages in common, so conversed exclusively by sign.
"Who cares?" replied the second, and laid hand upon the weary traveller.
The next day, Techno was led to a clearing in the desert. The Janissaries concealed themselves in the ... scenery and Techno was encouraged by prods from a well concealed bayonet to show off his Molly. Well, after about three or four hours, the strange sight of a man clad in white, prancing away like barefoot puppy on a glacier, handkerchiefs flying, bells tinkling to his capering drew attention. The brigands approached, and seeing no end to the dance, were drawn nearer and nearer until at the sound of a horn the Janissaries jumped out of hiding and slew the brigands to a man.
Thus Techno became the good luck charm of the Janissary unit. He marched at their head, bells tinkling, for several years, but then his thoughts turned to home. He thought that perhaps he'd left the kettle on. He became more and more miserable, and more and more homesick, until, unable to bear it he planned his escape.
One night, very carefully, he drew off his morris gear, and arrayed it upon a contraption of thin rods and poles. Then with this dummy as distraction, the real dummy slipped from the camp and headed home. At the first crossroads, he turned right ... but what happened to Techno in Muscovy is another story.
The next day, the Janissaries, seeing their good luck mascot had disappeared were largely unconcerned. The took his morris gear on it's framework, added a few more bells and a natty red top, and carried it from that day on.
And that, my friends, is how Techno became the original Jingling Johnny.  

X_X

Nobby.....You're an absolute and utter OIK ! (And dog meat.)

Cheers - Phil  ;)

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 28 April 2016, 12:58:48 PM

............And that, my friends, is how Techno became the original Jingling Johnny.  

;D ;D ;D =D>

Quote from: d_Guy on 28 April 2016, 12:46:04 PM
Since we're talking about bands how about a 19th c pipe band? Piper, base drum, side drum, drum major - each in full dress and field dress (so eight figures) - or also throw in a goat or a Shetland pony or even an Irish wolf hound.

Oh! and don't forget about Orcs. I hear he likes a triangle.

:P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

A Swiss band playing Toblerones?

Leon

Quote from: mollinary on 28 April 2016, 10:44:42 AM
Getting back to the point, how will these be marketed?  Will there be multiples of some figures, and just one of others (band master, bass drummer and dog, for example)?  Will a number of the existing Austrian side drummer be included?  A set of 15, or 30, or another number?

Yep, it'll likely be two each of the instrument guys, plus a single drum major and a single dog-drum set.  I'll dig out the Austrian command mould and we can add a couple of the Austrian drummers in there, so that would be 6 pairs (12 figures), one major and one dog-drum set, so around about 15 figures-ish.  I imagine they'll be slightly pricier than a usual 15-man pack (£2.50) so around £3.00 instead? 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!