Next 'twin set' of 10mm loveliness

Started by Nosher, 18 September 2010, 11:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

No sooner have I started on my medieval 10mm Pendraken loveliness, do I feel the urge to start another period... Damn you Harwood/Pendraken :d

Its your chance to vote on my next endeavour, but first some background.

I already have shitloads of Naps in 15mm. I picked up Lasalle and think that this could be my preferred rule set of choice. I'm loathe to part with my 15's some of which are nearly as old as me, but the attraction of 10mm is a big pull in that I can put together a battalion of infantry/cavalry for £3.25

I already have two very large SCW armies in 6mm based for BKC - probably about three times as much as anyone would ever need. I helped Pete pull together the SCW list in BKCII and was a key hassler in asking for specific bits in the Pendraken range so the pull of the 10mm range is very appealing

I dont currently have any figures in any scale for the dark ages, but its a period I have always had an interest in.

HELP!
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Aart Brouwer

I voted Napoleonic, for precisely the reason you mention. In 10mm one can mount an entirely workable battalion consisting of four stands of soldiers in two or three ranks. This makes maneuvering on the table much more interesting. Battalion/company level maneuvers were the nuts and bolts of warfare in the Napoleonic age. In 10mm you can actually put your battalion in a carré that doesn't look like a bucket massacre on a basketball court.
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

nikharwood

I've voted SCW nosher - purely because I know (through the BKCII testing) how much you love it...and the figures are stunning & the gaps in armour have now pretty much been filled; and don't forget that the Naps are being re-done: so you might want to hold off on them until you see the new stuff in its entirety (by which time you'll have painted your SCW anyway).
:) 8)

DanJ

I've voted for Saxons, Normans and Vikings beause:

1) Its a new period, therefore lots of interesting reading and other research to do.

2) Much greater flexibility of period, with Naps you're stuck playing naps.  With these armies you can use them not only for the main armies but with a few additions you've also got Brettons, French, Anglo Norman, Scilily/Italian Norman, First Crusade and probably a few others as well.

Maenoferren

I voted ANglo saxon etc for exactly the same reasons as Dan, it gives a lot of flexibility but also get yourself a pile of orcs and stuff to make it an army to fight the evil orc horde :D
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Leon

I've left the Naps, cos we're building the new range and you'd be better off waiting until it's released.  Couldn't decide between the other two, but then the new SCW artillery crews we've received today swung it!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Blaker

Howdy Nosher,

First I was thinking Nappys, especially since I have redone most of my 15mm armies to 10mm armies. Much better look on the table and much more cost effective.

However, then I was thinking maybe go for the SCW since you already have that itch to switch from your 6mm armies to 10mm but then I decided, you already have SCW armies.  :-\

So I have opted to vote for the Anglo, etc period, first because you still have Nappys and SCW you can play with til you make that switch and second because you do not have Anglo, etc in any scale yet so you would be starting off fresh and full of really cool ideas about planning your research, painting schemes, rules and like the others above have mentioned, you can morph them to other armies very easily.

Soooo go DARK AGES!!!!  Nothing like plunder and pillaging and lots of pints to boot  :D

cya

FierceKitty

Dark ages, since there may be one or two figures that can morph into Cossacks.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Nosher

Cheers Chaps ;)

Still open to persuasion on this one so will leave this one running till payday and make a decision then :) At the moment I'm leaning towards the 3rd Legere 'Catalan' Huscarls :-\ =) :D
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Nosher on 19 September 2010, 09:10:13 AM
Cheers Chaps ;)

Still open to persuasion on this one so will leave this one running till payday and make a decision then :) At the moment I'm leaning towards the 3rd Legere 'Catalan' Huscarls :-\ =) :D

I think Pendraken should produce a Carlist knarr first!  :P

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Nosher

OK. Paydays tuesday and evilbay listings I have finish Sunday. 

Although I have a list of wants to round off my recent medieval endeavours, I am intending on making my decision this weekend about which twin set I will buy. At the moment it's looking like Dark Ages. This weekends your last chance to influence my thinking.

I will definately go with the majority and will make this my Tale of X Gamers II alongside Tale of X Gamers I - 100YW French & English.

Frank Carson

Captain Verbeek

Of course a gentlemen of discerning taste would obviously wish to partake in a campaign through the Sudan or Zululand.
Non Cadmus

Nosher

Quote from: Captain Verbeek on 24 September 2010, 07:31:35 PM
Of course a gentlemen of discerning taste would obviously wish to partake in a campaign through the Sudan or Zululand.

Oh no you dont! I ain't falling for that one even though its Friday night and the beer is nice and cold after a hard works week - hic! Have you been taliking to Dick Dastardly (aka Mr Harwood)?.

The sudan/zulu wars have long been on my 'to do' list - maybe 2012? I can get far more enjoyment from watching those figures dry than the greatest show on earth is likely to provide!

Frank Carson

nikharwood

Oh, go on nosher - you know you want to... :P

Nosher

Frank Carson