Salute 2016 video

Started by Aksu, 23 April 2016, 06:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

I don't think dyslexia is a good excuse for not having stuff proof read. Surely it should be the reverse. I am still coming across the past tense verb 'led' as the metal 'lead', which I find hilarious in  wargaming as the led are led by lead.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Bodvoc

I really enjoyed watching your salute video. In particular I liked the ECW, Peninsular and Winter in Russia games and boards. Some fantastic terrain, only problem is, where would one store such wonderful (and delicate ) scenery?
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Westmarcher

Enjoyed the video, too, Aksu. Much appreciated.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Quote from: Bodvoc on 24 April 2016, 10:37:31 AM
I really enjoyed watching your salute video. In particular I liked the ECW, Peninsular and Winter in Russia games and boards. Some fantastic terrain, only problem is, where would one store such wonderful (and delicate ) scenery?
Club storage, wealthier gamers with loads of space, or spread around club members. These types of games are exhibits and bear little resemblance to a typical game.

Steve J

A common thread through several Salute reports has been that although the games looks fantastic, there is little actual playing and the board looks more like a museum display than a 'normal' game. Personally I like looking at games rather than displays.

Rob

Thanks Aksu, that was great.  :)

I think there is a place for "demo" games and "normal" games. I know our club's games are more in the normal/participation category and look nothing like as spectacular as some of the demo games on the video.

The role of the demo game is to promote the hobby. The role of the participation game is to get non players rolling dice and involved. The normal games can be viewed in the competion area if a show has one.

Cheers, Rob  :) :)

Leman

I'm still a bit unsure about this promoting the hobby thing. First off most attendees seem to be gamers anyway; secondly if one was completely new then how intimidating is a 50 building 28mm town with accompanying docks, civilians, road transport  natural flora and fauna, not to mention two beautifully painted 28mm armies moving across it. Yes, it looks superb but is it what we do down the club? In our club we state that we put on nothing that you couldn't see on a normal Thursday night or Sunday afternoon.

toxicpixie

Seconded. We aim for something decent looking, playable AND achievable. And recently I've made sure they're participation games too that anyone can join in an pick up - hence using Song of Blades & Heroes.

Has inspired some emailing and chat post show with people who saw us/played and a couple of new club attendees so must be doing something right :D Even if it's just a sneaky way to get a seat for ten mins mid-show ;)

Must remember to watch the video tomorrow :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting