How do I make a figure in 10mm

Started by Maenoferren, 17 September 2010, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maenoferren

I was considering having a go at making  film crew etc for my game, but havent got the first clue how,, well apart from needing to make the figure with milliput or something similar? :-[ :-[
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

nikharwood

Leon

You'll need a basic armature, then build it up 'til you've got something you're happy with.

I've been looking at getting some Procreate in, would it be of interest to anyone?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Maenoferren

so make the armature from wire, then cover with the putty stuff? A doddle! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I didnt say what it would end up like mind lol :-[ :-[ :-[

Leon

Quote from: Maenoferren on 17 September 2010, 10:14:00 PM
so make the armature from wire, then cover with the putty stuff? A doddle! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I didnt say what it would end up like mind lol :-[ :-[ :-[

Pretty much.  Although I'm sure some of the designers who frequent these parts may have slightly better input than me!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Maenoferren

I will soon be the proud owner of a 10mm 'morph' with a film camera :-[ :-[

nikharwood

Quote from: Leon on 17 September 2010, 10:09:59 PM
I've been looking at getting some Procreate in, would it be of interest to anyone?

Yep, me for one. You're turning into a nice one-stop shop y'know  8)

clibinarium

The trick is not to be to ambitious with your first go. Find a figure that could be converted into a cameraman, eg. a guy firing/aiming a bazooka or similar, then get going with the wire and the putty. Then get progressively more ambitious with conversions and eventually you'll be  able to do figures from scratch.

If you try to do a figure from scratch straight away you'll probably fail; I did, and didn't have another go for about five years!

count_zero99uk

My greenstuff is still in my drawer, i havent had the nerve to give anything a go yet.

Anyone know if you can do weapons with greenstuff?

nikharwood

Yes you can  8)

Have a look here:  http://www.heresyminiatures.com/tools.htm

Andy suggests which putty he uses for sculpting various component parts of a figure.

Maenoferren

So if I get a figure and file him down to basic dummy size and then build it up with the putty. the ideal figures I have for this would be my bearers, typically these are the ones that I painted first  :-\

republic of tolworth

Well I'm trying a few basic conversions for my 18thC forces. As Clib said start small with a few head swops and adding/taking packs.

I've found the hats from the AWI casualty range a good start.

Just be prepared to drop bits,swear and put drill bits in fingers :-[
League of the dayglow Aztec Empire.

Pruneau

I am a regular user of pro-create and magic sculp.  However, since I mainly do 28 mm figs, and mainly one off, these products tend to last a long time.  I also have green stuff, fimo (oven baked) and 2 kinds of milliput.  So it can be months before I buy anything.

For medieval weapons I tend to use copper band, rather than make them from scratch.  Guns are part sculpted, part metal parts, part resin parts.  However I imagine 10 mm fire weapons can be made from copper band as well.  If building from scratch magic sculp is nice because it can be sanded well.  Hard to get the straight edges otherwise.

I once made an ugly 10 mm duck warrior, and I learned quite a bit from that, for one that like in 28 mm you need to have the wire frame just right before you start adding putty.  And you need to think about position even more than for 28 mm, cause modding after the fact is gonna be a pain.  Then again, I'm just an amateur.
Boardgames: MMP ACW, ASL ᴥ BKC & SSOM - WW2 (In development) ᴥ Flying Lead - Sci-Fi: Shocktroops, Pulp, Spugs ᴥ WH - Greenskins, Dwarfs

http://hiording.blogspot.com - http://runequestfun.blogspot.com - http://secondsquadonme.blogspot.com

ʎɐqə ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎəʞ ɐ ʎnq ı əɯıʇ ʇsɐl əɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

FierceKitty

Dos anyone remember that Not the 9 o'Clock News episode where they showed cars being put through an hydraulic compactor for a minute or two, then cut to Matchbox cars rolling out on a production line in a toy factory? If only one could really do that with 25mm Aztecs, Cossacks, Ming Chinese, Japanese warrior monks....A sort of 3D reduction copier is what we need.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Maenoferren

QuoteA sort of 3D reduction copier is what we need.
damn just sold mine on Ebay   :-[ :-[