Newbie question

Started by Kaiser Bill, 18 April 2016, 10:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaiser Bill

So just started with Warband, played with empty bases whilst I find time top re-base everything.

So first question that came up, when units engage in melee it seems smart to make sure you don't line up perfectly.  This prevents attackers following up routed or pushed back units.  It also allows a pushed back unit to charge into combat next turn.

But what about the victor?  If a unit pushes another back, but is locked in combat as a third unit, does it still count as pursuing?  Does it get the charger bonus in the following turn even though it has not actually moved.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Don't play Warband myself so I'll leave the rules advice to those who do. Pretty sure someone will be along shortly.

However, I will take the opportunity to say welcome to warmth, wisdom and regular wackiness that is the Pendraken forum.

Enjoy!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Welcome from me, as well, KB.

Like Mike, above, I'm sure there will be someone along shortly to answer your question.
Cheers - Phil

fred.

Quote from: Kaiser Bill on 18 April 2016, 10:44:32 PM
So just started with Warband, played with empty bases whilst I find time top re-base everything.

So first question that came up, when units engage in melee it seems smart to make sure you don't line up perfectly.  This prevents attackers following up routed or pushed back units.  It also allows a pushed back unit to charge into combat next turn.

I've found this too.

But what about the victor?  If a unit pushes another back, but is locked in combat as a third unit, does it still count as pursuing?  Does it get the charger bonus in the following turn even though it has not actually moved.

I think that if you are locked in combat  by another unit then you don't get the pursuit bonus. But this is from memory.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Chieftain

Hi KB, and welcome.   :-h

More of a comment this one, but yes there are tactics to be exploited.

QuoteBut what about the victor?  If a unit pushes another back, but is locked in combat as a third unit, does it still count as pursuing?  Does it get the charger bonus in the following turn even though it has not actually moved.

fred is correct. 

In your example, the unit is locked in melee, and therefore does not make a pursuit move or gain any benefits from doing so.

A unit that forces all its melee opponents to fall back or rout, and which does not itself fall back or rout, may choose to make a pursuit move. p24

Official Guru of our Warband rules!

fsn

What ho, Kaiser!

Playing with empty bases? That's a dangerous concept to introduce. I'm likely to start off with a Greek phalanx and end up playing BAOR.

Welcome anyway. I don't do Warband.  To me a Centaur is a half track Land Rover, an Goblin makes tea and Orcs is a regular contributor to the forum. Anyway, we can't all be the same and I'm sure you'll find lots of knowledgeable people around.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Welcome to the forum, from another non-fantasy player. :)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Hang on! "Kaiser Bill"?  Why aren't you playing WWI?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Hi Kaiser Bill

Welcome to the Forum.

While I am a slapper of a wargamer, playing anything with anyone I have yet to play Warband. 

Anyway I am sure you will get your answers here from one or other of the lunatics that reside here.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Bodvoc

Welcome aboard, you will enjoy Warband, it is great fun.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Kaiser Bill

I am probably being a bit dim here, but I tried to add some pictures, showing the rebasing progress.  I had no luck, the files were too large aparently.  Am I missing a trick?

Ithoriel

If you are attaching images they need to be less than 128K or they are rejected by the system.

I think most of us host the images on things like photobucket and link to those. No size restriction on that as it's just a link to an image elsewhere and takes next to no space.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Kaiser Bill