Order arrived-now to paint them!?

Started by CarlLeyland, 17 April 2016, 09:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subedai

Another personal vote for 'in scale' buildings here. I just can't get my head around using smaller buildings, it just doesn't look right.

Like you I make all my own although I did succumb and but some 20th Century type 6mm resin ruins on fleabay the other week.   
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

FierceKitty

AND to launch the reaction for the twenty-seventh time, there are those of us who like a town to contain several buildings without covering six times as much ground to scale as the reality, and who therefore opt for 6mm.

Shouldn't there be a sub-board for this shouting match? It arises every fortnight.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Subedai

Without actually disagreeing with you, I know the topic may well come up periodically, but people who have not long joined probably don't know that. It doesn't bother me how many times it gets repeated, if it gets people talking then it's fine by me. I usually find that it doesn't go on for too long anyway, usually because someone will make a comment that sends the whole thread whizzing off at a tangent.
Blog is at

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

FierceKitty

True enough. Funny you should mention tangents; I remember trigonometry was the branch of maths that convinced me I'd never master the art.

Ithoriel

I hope it is never seen as a shouting match. Some of us like 10mm buildings with 10mm figures some prefer 6mm, entirely personal preference but I wouldn't want those with a preference for 10mm to feel they are doing it wrong because someone else recommends 6mm buildings. Some people like Marmite, some don't.

Frankly, if people are happy to have their 10mm Imperial Romans fighting over a 3mm scale nuclear power station or a 28mm skyscraper then more power to their elbows ... though I reserve the right to to pass comment if it's a game I'm playing in :)

As to thread derailments ... no idea what you mean Subedai.

BTW does anyone know if the old fantasy mammoth without a howdah is basically naked or does it have a blanket or other trappings? ;)

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

In Australia they often call a blanket a blankie, a habit my wife picked up there as an exchange student twenty years ago (though fortunately not the accent).

Tawa

Quote from: FierceKitty on 18 April 2016, 02:22:07 PM
True enough. Funny you should mention tangents; I remember trigonometry was the branch of maths that convinced me I'd never master the art.

They made us learn Algebra. Waste of time. I've still never been there.
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Tawa on 18 April 2016, 03:31:41 PM

They made us learn Algebra. Waste of time. I've still never been there.

I've been to Algebra but felt I was there just making up the numbers.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Subedai

Quote from: FierceKitty on 18 April 2016, 02:22:07 PM

Same here. Pythagoras is about the only theorem I can remember and even that one doesn't get much of an outing these days. Algebra in its basic form is fine, I can cope with that and even managed to assist the smalls with their homework up until second year at least.  :) After that forget it, in normal life it's about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe.

Without being pedantic, I always thought maths was a science not an art.   ;)
Blog is at

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

fsn

Strangely enough you can get BAs or BScs in Maths.

Maths is beautiful. The way that a Fibonacci series describes the structure of a snail's shell; the  encryption on your mobile phone is based of prime numbers; the appreciation of a picture expressing the Golden Ratio. Vitruvian man.

Danny Kaye singing "Inchworm".

I rest my case. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Subedai

Quote from: fsn on 18 April 2016, 04:28:57 PM
Strangely enough you can get BAs or BScs in Maths.

Maths is beautiful. The way that a Fibonacci series describes the structure of a snail's shell; the  encryption on your mobile phone is based of prime numbers; the appreciation of a picture expressing the Golden Ratio. Vitruvian man.

Danny Kaye singing "Inchworm".

I rest my case. 

If it's too heavy you can rest your case anywhere you like, but beautiful is not the word I would have chosen to describe maths. I think you either get it or you don't; for most of the time I'm in the latter category. Luckily for us a lot of people do.
Blog is at

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Tawa

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 18 April 2016, 03:36:21 PM
I've been to Algebra but felt I was there just making up the numbers.

Could you not find a Solution to that?
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

fsn

1 part olive oil, 1 part Fairy Liquid, two parts gin.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Your lot's numbers are much more stylish - slashes through zeros, little dashes or tildes through sevens - nice!
Isn't Algebra like a news service or something?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on