Guilford Courthouse - 235th Anniversary

Started by paulr, 11 April 2016, 11:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Very attractive game and layout, Paul.  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Bodvoc

'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Ithoriel

Beautiful looking game and looks like it was fun to play too.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Subedai

I can only echo what has been said before. Everything looks great and is a wonderful advert for the hobby and the figures.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Tawa

That's a marvellous looking setup!  :D

I'm still dabbling with the idea of Napoleonic's at that "scale". What system are you using for it?
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

pierre the shy

Hi tawa

We use Volley and Bayonet 2nd edition using wing scale and some "house rules" for AWI by Geoff Glasco.
They work very well ☺
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Tawa

Quote from: pierre the shy on 14 April 2016, 08:37:12 PM
Hi tawa

We use Volley and Bayonet 2nd edition using wing scale and some "house rules" for AWI by Geoff Glasco.
They work very well ☺

Made a note of that :)

Although one came straight out of the left field yesterday and I ordered some ACW figures......  :-\

Subedai

Quote from: Tawa on 16 April 2016, 03:00:51 PM
Made a note of that :)

Although one came straight out of the left field yesterday and I ordered some ACW figures......  :-\

And that is out of the ordinary because...?

I normally have a long hard think about what I want to do next, sort out periods in order of preference etc etc and then suddenly get inspired by something and go off at a complete tangent.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Tawa

The ACW is a foggy blank spot in my knowledge of history. I know it's there, but that's about it....

That being said, I am really rather keyed up to get stuck into it as a project :)

bigjackmac

Wow, absolutely gorgeous, Paul.

V/R,
Jack

Bill Braham

Excellent looking table and the game demonstrated that it is a tough nut to crack for any would be Cornwallis' out there.

pierre the shy

Quote from: Bill Braham on 23 April 2016, 07:43:35 PM
Excellent looking table and the game demonstrated that it is a tough nut to crack for any would be Cornwallis' out there.

Have to agree with those comments  :)

We spent two days fighting two separate games and on both occasions the British were able to counter the first two American lines but the third line of Continentals never moved in either game as the British casualties we just too heavy...I played the British in the first game and Americans in the second.

Really love playing AWI but for some reason ACW has just never interested/inspired me enough to play a single game.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Quote from: Bill Braham on 23 April 2016, 07:43:35 PM

It proved to be an even tougher nut in our second game on 26 March, apologies for the lateness of this report.

Pierre the Shy (Peter) and Roy commanded the Americans and I commanded the British, Germans and Loyal Americans.

Peter and Roy were aggressive with Washington's and Lee's Legions respectively and the British soon found themselves in trouble on both flanks. Leslie's brigade on the right had managed to charge and rout the North Carolina Militia to their front but Regiment von Bose was caught by Lee's Light Horse and routed. The loyalist Royal North Carolina Regiment that had come up in support was being out shot by the veteran light infantry and Virginian riflemen of Lee's Legion.

On the left Webster's Brigade had been forced to support the Hessian Jagers and Guards Light Infantry with the 33rd Foot due to the pressure from Washington's Dragoons, veteran Light Infantry and Virginian riflemen. This meant that they had not yet been able to charge the North Carolina Militia to their front. The Guards Brigade had also had to move up to counter Washington's Dragoons.

The 33rd Foot's charge was repulsed and the Guards volley through the light wood was ineffective.

Back on the British right Lee's Legion Horse had redeployed and successfully charged the loyalist Royal North Carolina Regiment. Casualties were rapidly mounting in the 2nd Battalion, 71st Foot. The British Legion Dragoons moved to the right to cover this rapidly weakening flank.

Lee's Legion Horse supported by fire from his veteran light infantry rapidly overwhelmed the British Legion Dragoons and forced Regiment von Bose to take shelter in the buildings of Hoskins farm. Accurate fire from Lee's  Virginian riflemen forced the survivors of 2nd Battalion, 71st Foot to disperse.

Close range volleys from the Guards inflicted some casualties and forced Washington's Dragoons to withdraw. Multiple charges by the 33rd, 23rd and Guards routed the North Carolina Milita and some of the Virginia Milita.

But more Virginia Milita advanced and casualties were rapidly mounting on both the Guards and Webster's Brigades.

The battle ended with Regiment von Bose ejected from Hoskins Farm and the exhausted British Legion Dragoons withdrawing with them. The casualties suffered by both the Guards and Webster's Brigades had exhausted them and they also had to withdraw.

Another interesting game, this time a clear victory to the Americans.
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!