Guilford Courthouse - 235th Anniversary

Started by paulr, 11 April 2016, 11:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

15 March this year was the 235th anniversary of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse.

To mark the occasion we planned to refight the battle using Wing Scale Volley & Bayonet during a 3 day Wargames event over Easter here in Wellington, NZ.

Below are a few taster pictures, I will report on the two battles in later posts.

Pierre the Shy discusses the advantages of 10mm with a new convert :)

The forces of the King deploy for battle by Hoskins farm

The American first line, North Carolina Milita supported by Lee and Washington's Legions (Near and far wings respectively)

The American second line, more experienced Virginia Militia, wait behind the denser forest

The American third line, Maryland & Virginia Continentals, wait behind the stream (Guilford Courthouse just out of shot to the right)

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

12 April 2016, 05:23:42 AM #1 Last Edit: 12 April 2016, 06:48:30 AM by paulr
In the first game Peter (Pierre the Shy) commanded the British and I commanded the Americans.

The British advanced across the fields and fire was opened by both side

I advanced both American Legions on the wings, including Washington's cavalry on the far side.

Peter responded by advancing the Royal North Carolinas on the British right, the British Legion Dragoons on the left and charging in the centre. As expected the North Carolina Militia routed (red & yellow markers).

Rather than push through the denser Forest in pursuit of the North Carolinas Peter turned Webster's Brigade to the left to take on Washington's Legion and Leslie's Brigade to the right to tackle Lee's Legion. The Brigade of Guards supported Leslie while the British Legion Dragoons supported Webster.

At this point I should have withdrawn both Legions to the support of the American second line. Extracting them was harder than I expected and the casualties to both Legions mounted rapidly exhausting both. However Webster's Brigade was exhausted in the heavy fighting.

This left the Brigade of Guards and the Leslie's Brigade to take on the American second line. Initially the British moved up and exchanged fire with Stevens' Virginia Militia.

Stevens' Brigade stood their ground and exchanged volleys with the Guards and Highlanders (71st) while Lawson's Virginia Militia moved up in support on the British left and the exhausted remainder of Lee's Legion moved up on the British right.

The Guards and Highlanders (71st) charged while Regiment von Bose and the Royal North Carolinas moved up in support. This routed Stevens' Virginia Militia Brigade but they, supported by Lawson's Virginia Militia and Lee's Legion, inflicted enough casualties to destroy the already weakened Highlanders and one Battalion of the Guard.

With all the British Brigades exhausted the battle drew to a close.

The Continentals had not engaged however the loses to the North Carolina and Virginia Militia and more particularly to the both elite Legions forced the Americans to again withdraw across the Dan River into Virginia.

The British had won a costly victory.

Steve J

Techno

What a magnificent table !  :-bd :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Well now you know why I like playing 10mm AWI games so much  :)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Roy

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Nick

Great looking figures, complimented by some brilliant terrain!

Excellent work  =D>

d_Guy

Just flat impressive gentlemen - very well done!  :-bd =D> =D>
Sleep with clean hands ...

Leman

That's definitely the way to do a demo game. If that doesn't hook them, then I doubt anything in wargaming will.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Matt J

Really really awesome chaps, ace set-up  8)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

mollinary

12 April 2016, 06:07:20 PM #12 Last Edit: 12 April 2016, 06:08:59 PM by mollinary
Congratulations Paul, that is a simply beautiful table and set of figures. Shows off all that is brilliant about Pendraken and 10mm as a scale!
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :-bd
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

paulr