MG34 on tripod for early war Germans

Started by kustenjaeger, 08 April 2016, 11:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kustenjaeger

At present we do not have an early war WW2 German tripod MG34, which seems pretty essential ...?

Kind regards

Edward

Sunray

I would tend to agree Edward - we have a prone (GR3) and a standing (GR190) sculpts for MG34 in regular infantry mode.   But non for the sustained fire role.
As adequate crew potentially exist it may only be a matter of sculpting the gun ?

Orcs

We have an MG42 on a tripod.  The MG42 is very similar to the MG34 in looks especially at this scale.  Surely we have more pressing requests?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Womble67

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 09 April 2016, 12:05:17 PM
We have an MG42 on a tripod.  The MG42 is very similar to the MG34 in looks especially at this scale.  Surely we have more pressing requests?

I would agree they look extremely similar at this scale

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

This ^^^
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

John Cook

What, like a dozen Sherman variants >:(   

Sunray

Excellent! We have two schools of opinion here.  Edward says there is need for an MG 34 on a tripod. Andy says that this base is covered by the MG42 which is very similar "at this scale" and  "there are more pressing requests".

I would normally accept the scale argument at 10mm, but I have to say that Pendraken MG42 is a very accurate sculpt.  You can actually discern that it is meant to represent the  steel stamped version even in this scale. I have used  GR21 for post war gaming.  In terms of the more pressing requests, it not a complicated AFV.

However, it should be market forces that decides this.  It all boils down to the potential sales.  I don't game early war German,  but am aware that with the growing Polish and French ranges, there will be demand for kit appropriate to 1939/40 era.  If this is an area you play and you are a Pendraken customer, then I would invite you to join the debate.  Its what this forum is for, and serves as a useful market research tool for Dave and Leon.

kustenjaeger

Greetings

I had meant to add this last night but failed.

Personally I think there are sufficient differences to model the two but accept it may not be the highest priority. 

If Pendraken were to do a tripod mounted MG34 then it could be offered as an alternative code for existing German WW2 tripod MGs - late war, para, DAK, winter etc as the tripod model would be stand alone and the existing crew could be added.

Incidentally are the late war crew close enough to use for early war?  My quick look was that you'd have to disguise the short boots and the helmet of the loader looks like it has a cover of some sort.

Kind regards

Edward

Ithoriel

Quote from: John Cook on 10 April 2016, 09:35:16 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of Sumerians, Amurru, Gutians, Elamites, Melukhans, Akkadians, Old Kingdom Egyptians, Mitanni, Babylonians, Hittites, Minoans, Mycenaeans, etc, etc to fill in the aching void in the Pendraken catalogue that is the first 50% of military history.

Just a tad frustrating to see requests for items because the closest item is a couple of years adrift when I'm proxying with things a couple of millennia adrift!

In the end I've gone with 6mm for my Sumerians because it's easier to fudge proxies in the smaller scale but it would have been nice to have a decent range in 10mm.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Quote from: John Cook on 10 April 2016, 09:35:16 AM
Surely it's important for big cats to have a varied diet?

I'm frankly ambivalent. I doubt if I would buy a tripod MG34, I'm quite happy with the bipod. However, I can see the desire for it, so would probably be quite happy to see it as an add-on. I'd prefer to see Korean War infantry, Byzantines and chariot armies first.

I do recognise that whilst poor old Techno is lumbered with fiddling about with a multiplicity of *expletive deleted* Warband (and not a duckman in sight), Mart can catch up on the several versions of Sherman not yet covered - and these are *ahem* mostly post war for which there are no infantry.

So, in answer to Sunray's question, I think the MG34 on a tripod would be a useful addition, particularly with the early war releases, but personally I wouldn't buy it and would prefer other stuff.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

Yes, the absence of the tripod mounted MG34 is is another case of an incomplete range.  It's easy enough to make one though, by harvesting the necessary bits from a prone MG34.  A bit time-consuming but that is what I've done.  Even at 1:1 you only need four of them for an entire HMG platoon c1940.

Mako

I'd like to see this as well for early to mid-war Germans, and also a prone MG42 team, firing from a bipod as well.

If I have to choose, I'd rather have the prone, MG42 team firing, for Summer, first.

Since German squads were built around their machine guns, and feeding/supporting them tactically, they are absolutely critical to the German WWII army.

Guys in camo smocks/bedsheets/Winter Gear, firing the MG42 and MG34 would be appreciate as well, if they aren't available, while we're at it too.  They're needed for the fighting in the Ardennes, as well as on the Eastern Front.

Can't tell, 100%, since there's no photo, but it appears that the Winter Gear MG team may be firing from a tripod, based upon the description, and number included in the pack.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!