A stranger in the Mess

Started by sjwalker51, 08 April 2016, 08:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjwalker51

Morning all, I'm a long-time historical gamer, currently based in South Yorkshire, who's just discovering the potential of 10mm figures in general and Pendraken in particular. Sorry it's taken so long!

First project likely to be building up forces for the 1879 Zulu War, to compliment my 28mm collection, and do Isandlwana properly, having been dissatisfied by the quality and breadth of available 15mm ranges.

BUT I've been dangerously distracted by photos of the new LoA range, which has got me thinking about a 'small' sideshow project inspired by the events of 1685-1690 in England.

Expect a few newbie questions on the relevant boards but, for starters, which figures would forum members recommend for Monmouth Rebellion scythe men - ECW peasants maybe?

Thanks in anticipation

Simon

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hello and welcome,
For scythe men I would recommend LOA16 Scythemen, all Clibinarii's sculpts are gorgeous and come with life and variety in each pack.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Welcome to the madhouse forum, Simon.  :)
Cheers - Phil

Subedai

Wotcha from the other end of the country. I have no real interest in either of the projects you mentioned but I'm sure there are others. Some very knowledgeable people here and some even have letters from their doctors proving they are sane!
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

FierceKitty

There's no such thing as a "small sideshow project" in my experience. Twelve new armies later one sees the truth of this.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Westmarcher

Hi, stranger.    :-h

Not related to 'skywalker' (one of our other members), are you?  :-\

p.s. plus a belated hello to all other recently joined members who've had the courage (insanity?) to formally introduce themselves.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Steve J

Welcome on board and the LoA range is superb.

sjwalker51

'LOA16 Scythemen'

Doh! First post and I show my complete ignorance of the Pendraken range...

And, yes, 'sideshows' have a habit of getting out of hand, despite best intentions and especially when I see just how good 60-figure units on 6 bases look. Suddenly the planned 16-figure AZW British companies might end up 32-40 figures strong....

skywalker

Welcome to the madhouse. I don't think we are related but stranger things have happened ;D ;D

FierceKitty

Quote from: sjwalker51 on 08 April 2016, 10:54:12 AM
'LOA16 Scythemen'

Doh! First post and I show my complete ignorance of the Pendraken range...

And, yes, 'sideshows' have a habit of getting out of hand, despite best intentions and especially when I see just how good 60-figure units on 6 bases look. Suddenly the planned 16-figure AZW British companies might end up 32-40 figures strong....

"Just a Punic army"....but now Gauls, Iberians, and Numidians have a foot in the door. Let alone what Seleucids do!

fsn

Welcome Mr 51, or may I call you "Area"?

Quote from: sjwalker51 on 08 April 2016, 08:42:16 AM
First project likely to be building up forces for the 1879 Zulu War, to compliment my 28mm collection, and do Isandlwana properly, having been dissatisfied by the quality and breadth of available 15mm ranges.
Now if you sold those pesky 28mm things, just think how many shiny 10mm replacements you could have.

Do join in, and don't sit on the sidelines like America in the first two years of any World War.

(Sorry D_Guy and other colonials. All my other sideline quips involved virgins and their inevitable fate, and we don't want to put off Mr 51 at this early stage, do we? Also yes, I know that WWII could be dated before 1939, but that would just make the US seem even more late to the defence of democracy.)

See Mr 51 - this is the kind of place this forum has become. We gratuitously offend Americans and nit-pick about history. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Don't ever ask a man if he lives in Yorkshire, he'll NEVER admit it.

Moaning

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Leman

I suppose some Welshmen do live in Yorkshire. This one lives in Lancashire (or more specifically Sefton, which in my neck of the woods is a strip of land 2 miles wide between Lancashire and the sea).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

sjwalker51

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire: if he does, he'll tell you. If not, why humiliate him?"

Though I'm an 'in-comer' , having moved here 3 years ago and don't yet own a whippet and a pigeon loft, though I've got a flat cap somewhere.