"Foot Print" for a 10MM House

Started by CarlLeyland, 01 April 2016, 08:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlLeyland

Subedai I have not seen the articles, sorry. I had no idea you had written for a magazine. This forum is a very surprising place and very helpful. I had never thought of 10 or even 15mm as an option for many years. I think old (er) age was creeping up on me and I began painting 28mm "because it was easier". Now after the acquisition of some reading glasses the smaller scales are indeed a viable proposition once again. I will certainly hunt down your article, what issue was it in?

Poland seems such a strange place, in Europe but not like the west at all. Its on my bucket list of places to visit for sure.

Leman

It might not be like the west because it's in the east. It also dropped out of the nation state game for a couple of hundred years.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Subedai

I have been painting 10mm for a few years ago after decades of painting mostly 6mm so I went the other way in figure size. My 5' by 4' table is great for 6mm, good for 10's but gets a bit cramped the larger the figures get so that is my yardstick.

MWBG No's 388 and 389, Terrain for Tiny Chaps is the article you are after.
Trying to drum up more support for the Mongols -you'll realise after a while that their exploits are a particular favourite of mine- I also wrote the Mongol articles that appeared in the same magazine a while back.

It was my trip to Krakow that rekindled my interest in the Renaissance Polish husaria but annoyingly, the Armoury at Wawel castle -which has loads of period stuff- had closed the previous day for a 2 week refurbishment. Gutted!
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Wulf

Yes, but like so many gamers, she had so many miniatures she didn't know what to do...

Leman

;D ;D ;D Thank god that struck a chord. I was beginning to wonder.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello CL

Quote from: CarlLeyland on 01 April 2016, 08:57:47 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone scratch builds their 10MM buildings? In an attempt to keep costs down I would like to try to make a few peasant huts for Eastern Europe. The door size I got from this forum...roughly 15X6MM but what would you recommend for wall lengths and floor heights?

Thanks in advance.

If you're looking to keep costs down and have a printer, you can look at using card/paper buildings. There is a Russian Shed

at http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products/87078bond/house.pdf which is 2.6M and 1/35 but if you shrink it to .24 of the original it would be about the right size. You can add doors and windows to make a shack. Have a look at http://hamapaper2.zouri.jp/thumblink2/thumb55.html the struck through captions mean a model is no longer available.

Be careful looking around for paper models, there are some pirate sites that can do damage to your computer if you're not careful.

Also there are some pdfs you can buy and scale down as well:-

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/141308/Southern-Russian-Country-House-rch002

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

CarlLeyland

Thanks once again for the information, I will definatley be searching for the articles! The Mongols are a strange bunch-I think I have a fear thing going on with them....never even played against them in DBA as they give me the creeps-the original dark army!

The links are perfect thanks Grumpy, I have saved the hoouse which I will print out and the Japanese (?) site is a fantastic resource if one needs to build anything-literally everything is on there.

For once I am being overwhelmed with information which is a great motivator!

Can I ask how long an order usually takes to arrive? I am due to be away for a few days every now and then (also a visit to Thailand) and so a rough guide will tell me when not to order!

Thanks again!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Leman on 01 April 2016, 07:21:32 PM
I believe there was an old woman who had a very good footprint for a house.

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.
She said "On my income, it's all I can do.
It may be sub-standard, but just down the block
I know an old woman who lives in a sock."

(not my own, alas)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

When I were a young  'un all we had to live in was an old newspaper used to wrap chips in. You were lucky to have a sock. (If I knew how to do it I would now provide a You Tube link to the relevant MP sketch).

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.