"Foot Print" for a 10MM House

Started by CarlLeyland, 01 April 2016, 08:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlLeyland

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone scratch builds their 10MM buildings? In an attempt to keep costs down I would like to try to make a few peasant huts for Eastern Europe. The door size I got from this forum...roughly 15X6MM but what would you recommend for wall lengths and floor heights?

Thanks in advance.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Have a look at Supreme Littleness and his huypts, they are superb
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

By the time you have faffed around with all that you may have saved a couple of quid, but used up a great deal of time. The Supreme Littleness MDF peasant huts are really very good and affordable, and all the legwork is done for you.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

CarlLeyland

Thanks for this Mr Mad....will have a look now

CarlLeyland

Thanks Leman I will take a look at those too......you may be right about the time thing!

Subedai

I make nearly all my own terrain and my rule of thumb is using the figure scale for the height of the door and then add 4mm for 10mm for the roof level, taking any eaves up from that. Width is about 5mm. I tend to make windows about 5mm square and usually have the top of the window in line with the top of the door. If you use those basic measurements it becomes quite easy to work out what looks right for the walls. If you work in multiples of 5mm you will get a minimum frontage 25mm -allowing 5mm between door, window and wall ends and you can make the side walls anything from 15mm upwards. That would be your basic building.

There's a link here to the thread with a picture, there are more pics on the blog.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,9838.msg116287.html#msg116287

And on the blog

http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/more-10mm-buildings-for-eastern-europe.html
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Sandinista

I tend to go with a 10mm high door and reduce the height a bit as well, as i think proper scale 10mm looks too big with wargames figures. I'm not convinced that 6mm buildings look better but something halfway suits my tastes

Cheers
Ian

CarlLeyland

Thanks for the info Chaps.Subedai, just followed your blog, very useful to have the sizes. Your gaming seems very well presented and I am enjoying reading about your travels as my son goes to Poland with his school in a year.

I have never even seen a 10mm figure yet so all this is very new. Just waiting for the postie and I can use one of the figures to help me see what will look right.

Wulf

I still can't properly visualise 10mm minis after years of use! I keep thinking of something more like 20mm until I get them in my hands, either figures or vehicles... OTOH, I know 10mm buildings well, having printed plenty from various downloads & assembled them! As I game skirmish games & use building interiors, I prefer my buildings a bit OVER 10mm scale, more like 15mm, simply so I can get figures in & out with my great ham fists...

FierceKitty

I like to have a village base, occupancy of which is the only relevant combat modifier (that is to so, no house-to-house actions in minute detail, since I don't generally care for skirmish actions). On this base I place 6mm houses and other props as may contribute to the general period effect.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Subedai

Quote from: CarlLeyland on 01 April 2016, 12:28:22 PM
Thanks for the info Chaps.Subedai, just followed your blog, very useful to have the sizes. Your gaming seems very well presented and I am enjoying reading about your travels as my son goes to Poland with his school in a year.

Thanks for the comments.

If your lad likes his food I can recommend the little stalls which are everywhere selling zapiekankie. They are like half a baguette cut lengthways and similar to a pizza with a large variety of available toppings with a Polish slant on things. They also have street vendors selling various types of large pretzel which make a great midday snack. Admittedly Krakow is a major tourist destination but the amount of people who spoke very passable English was very helpful because my Polish is almost beyond dreadful -I even got ribbed by a Pole about my wearing a West ham football shirt...he said he was an Arsenal fan! Your lad might also be well impressed with the cost of things over there, it is substantially less expensive than here.

Which part is he visiting?
Blog is at

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

FierceKitty

Virtually every football fan in Bangkok cheers for Manchester. I think it's the smart red tee shirts.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

CarlLeyland

Thanks Guys this is all useful...can't believe that 10mil can be used for skirmish Mr Wulf!!! Having said that I am in the same position as yourself-I just can't visualise a 10mil figure....I have some 1/72 here but half that size is starting to look small.

My son will be visiting  auschwitz but we have not heard yet where they will be staying, somewhere close I imagine. As for the food this is a matter very close to his giant heart! I will inform him about this!

I may try some 6mm buildings Kitty....not a bad idea at all as I will be using them as markers really....unless the 10 mm bug takes hold.

As for football I have been a lifelong fan of Liverpool and my wife (born in Thailand) has 3 brothers and 5 sisters, all Liverpool supporters bar one strange Man U follower.please don't mention west ham to us, they are fast becoming a thorn in any Liverpool fans side!

Subedai

Quote from: CarlLeyland on 01 April 2016, 03:40:45 PM
Thanks Guys this is all useful...can't believe that 10mil can be used for skirmish Mr Wulf!!! Having said that I am in the same position as yourself-I just can't visualise a 10mil figure....I have some 1/72 here but half that size is starting to look small.

My son will be visiting  auschwitz but we have not heard yet where they will be staying, somewhere close I imagine. As for the food this is a matter very close to his giant heart! I will inform him about this!

I may try some 6mm buildings Kitty....not a bad idea at all as I will be using them as markers really....unless the 10 mm bug takes hold.

As for football I have been a lifelong fan of Liverpool and my wife (born in Thailand) has 3 brothers and 5 sisters, all Liverpool supporters bar one strange Man U follower.please don't mention west ham to us, they are fast becoming a thorn in any Liverpool fans side!

Sorry I took so long answering, I was looking for a smiley with a smug face.  :D :D  I have always liked Liverpool as a team although there was a serious glitch after the F A Cup result in 2006. Unfortunately, this current crop have a lot to learn if they want to emulate the Liverpool of old. I know what you mean about the odd ones. All my family, including cousins are all West Ham...apart from a son who is a Bluenose and a cousin who follows Spurs. Never mind, eh? We all have our crosses to bear.

On a more serious note, Auschwitz is reasonably close to Krakow and they run tours to the place so he could be staying there. My daughter -who had been working in Krakow previously- went there and said she came out with mixed emotions, and not many of them were good. We had the opportunity to go but without trying to feel superior in any way, I declined. I have seen enough footage and read enough accounts to know what went on and am intelligent enough to realise it must never happen again without the need to see it up close and personal.

By the way Carl, you may have read my articles in MWBG about making 6mm buildings and terrain, all are equally applicable to 10mm.
Blog is at

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

I believe there was an old woman who had a very good footprint for a house.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!