Awful War Films

Started by Nosher, 25 March 2016, 02:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

Anzio. Robert Mitchum and Peter Falk. Billed as the 'Big budget 1968 film about the Allied Invasion of Italy in 1944'

Big Budget my arse >:(

Every British unit depicted was preceded by a Bagpipe band, barely a period vehicle or tank in sight and Panzer Grenadiers armed with Bren Guns.

Oh. And Mitchum wins the campaign without firing a shot.....

What a crock of sh*te.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Leman

Alfred the Great - apparently the Saxons had a ready supply of green lamellar armour for every single soldier.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

This should be a very long thread indeed. Far better, surely to list the few worth watching!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

Oh come on. A good moan is very therapeutic. Pearl Harbour anyone?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

25 March 2016, 03:45:59 PM #4 Last Edit: 25 March 2016, 03:48:16 PM by Ithoriel
I liked Pearl Harbour ....

Particularly liked that the American I saw it with thought the Doolittle Raid unrealistic and made up by the film makers to satisfy the American market!!

Do we need a thread on the state of American education? ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Subedai

Cromwell. No more needs to be said.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

d_Guy

Quote from: Ithoriel on 25 March 2016, 03:45:59 PM

Do we need a thread on the state of American education? ;)

It would be a long thread - normally I'd put up some sort of defense for the home team - but - many of us can not tell you who we fought in WW2, when the ACW was fought (and only a vague notion of between whom), or who Washington, D.C.. Is named after (I kid you not).
We are good at a lot of stuff but this is not one of them.

Incidently on several trips to The UK over the years, when it was learned that I was from West Virginia, virtually all the locals knew that it was an actually state AND generally how that fact came about. A substantial portion of my countrymen know neither! (Maybe I should have put this in the rant thread😀)

I will overlook that you like the movie "Pearl Harbor" :D
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Roy

Quote from: d_Guy on 25 March 2016, 04:24:29 PM
...or who Washington, D.C.. Is named after (I kid you not).

Washington was the pet cat at DC Comics, right?  :-*
only joking

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

d_Guy

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 25 March 2016, 04:38:02 PM
Washington was the pet cat at DC Comics, right?  :-*
only joking

I would venture to say that that is within the universe of probable answers  :D

To retrack the thread - "The Battle of the Bulge" was not particularly good - mainly because all the German tanks seemed to be the same as those I had recently seen in a National Guard parade at home. Actually saw the movie in Paris and the French audience seemed to be rooting for the Germans (but I could be wrong - I don't speak French).

Nosher

Quote from: Nosher on 25 March 2016, 02:29:08 PM
Anzio. Robert Mitchum and Peter Falk. Billed as the 'Big budget 1968 film about the Allied Invasion of Italy in 1944'

Big Budget my arse >:(

Every British unit depicted was preceded by a Bagpipe band, barely a period vehicle or tank in sight and Panzer Grenadiers armed with Bren Guns.

Oh. And Mitchum wins the campaign without firing a shot.....

What a crock of sh*te.

From "Big Budget U.S" to "Shoestring Czech" and Operation Daybreak - The assassination of Heydrich with real Tigers and Hanomags. Realistic acting and minimal deviation from historical fact. Sublime  :)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Subedai

Quote from: d_Guy on 25 March 2016, 04:57:34 PM
To retrack the thread - "The Battle of the Bulge" was not particularly good - mainly because all the German tanks seemed to be the same as those I had recently seen in a National Guard parade at home. Actually saw the movie in Paris and the French audience seemed to be rooting for the Germans (but I could be wrong - I don't speak French).

Now using modern vehicles I can allow, mainly because that's all they could get. It's when they make glaring mistakes that really bugs me. I can only suspend my disbelief for so long.

Cromwell was bad but another -even worse- one has just occurred to me

Genghis Khan -the crappiest film ever. Made in 1965 and starring Omar Sharif. I watched it last year for the first time and stared at the screen in utter disbelief at the succession of errors. Saw it all the way through and then started watching it again to make notes of the errors. After 25 minutes I gave up after counting at least one every minute.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

fsn

Top of the head:
   * Band of Brothers
   * Saving Private Ryan
   * Anzio
   * Battle of the Bulge
   * Allies
   * Age of Heroes
   * Last Samurai
   * Braveheart
   * The Patriot
   * Sahara
   * The Bridge at Remagen
   * Gettysberg
   * Kingdom of Heaven
   * Patton
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Quote from: fsn on 25 March 2016, 05:47:18 PM
Top of the head:
   * Band of Brothers
   * Saving Private Ryan
   * Anzio
   * Battle of the Bulge
   * Allies
   * Age of Heroes
   * Last Samurai
   * Braveheart
   * The Patriot
   * Sahara
   * The Bridge at Remagen
   * Gettysberg
   * Kingdom of Heaven
   * Patton

For most I don't know enough to comment
But
Last Samurai - a pretty movie
Braveheart - all Scottish nights painted their faces blue didn't they?
The Patriot - utterly and totally abysmal!
The Bridge at Remagan - a West Virginia guy wrote the book so ipso facto it is excellent!
Gettysburg - like "Waterloo" I think it had a few good moments
Kingdom of Heaven - a very pretty movie plus Ridley Scott can do no wrong.
Patton - George C. Scott - what can I say

Orcs

Robin hood with Russell Crow

At the end the French are using modern landing craft with drop down ramps.
Robin hood then drops his strung bow in the sea, Picks it up and shoots it.  We all know that even a little rain  would knacker the bowstring

Braveheart with the English in 15th century armour.

Patton with M48s on both sides.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

jimduncanuk

Surprised nobody has mentioned Fury.
My Ego forbids a signature.