Q of the Week: One tank?

Started by Leon, 14 September 2010, 02:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanJ

The British Mk1 of 1916.

The Daddy and mummy of them all.

A huge step forward in technology and concept, it had an over whelming impact at least at first and paved the way for the modern all arms battle.

Slightly latter the Mk IV or V, mechanically much better and available in sufficent numbers to make a real contribution.

And the Rhomboid shap was such a cool design.

Paint it Pink

Centurion, technically WW2 for definitions of WW2 that allow it to be technically a WW2 tank.
Unlike some people, I feel under no obligation to pretend that only one war-gaming scale is true, and that any others 6mm/10mm/15mm/25mm are mistaken; or that I know better than people themselves what is right for them to use. The point is precisely for all war-gamers to decide for themselves.

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

lentulus

Now, if it was just one tank, instead of type of tank, I'd say some multi-ton doorstop like a JS3 or Tiger II.  They can so focus the attention of the enemy that your infantry can get away with anything.

Leon

Quote from: DanJ on 18 September 2010, 12:13:10 PM
And the Rhomboid shap was such a cool design.

I like the shape as well, the Mk V* we do is one of my favourite models.

Quote from: lentulus on 18 September 2010, 04:38:50 PM
Now, if it was just one tank, instead of type of tank, I'd say some multi-ton doorstop like a JS3 or Tiger II.  They can so focus the attention of the enemy that your infantry can get away with anything.

I'm surprised there's not been more mentions for the Tiger, the sheer size of the thing must have it's advantages!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Maenoferren

Yep the Tiger was a beast, I did my dissertation on the Normandy landings, and there is a case of the British laying mines on a road, to avoid tank interference, however Tigers broke through and played havoc, then scarpered back behind their own lines, the next morning they Brits went to see why their mines hadnt, gone boom an dindeed they hadnt, the Tigers seemed to have floated in, however on closer inspection, they realised that due to thier wheel base, the tanks were running along the hedge bases eaither side of the tracks, so the british engineers layed a pile at the base of the hedge and later that night there was a big Kabbom and no more Tiger break throughs occured after that.
Still like the Panther though :D
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Raider4

Quote from: nikharwood on 17 September 2010, 03:42:36 PM
Just spotted this qualifier: in which case I go for this one:

...on the basis that it comes with Tank Girl & Jet Girl [Naomi Watts - who went on to be the pretty starlet in King Kong]  8)

Quote from: Leon on 17 September 2010, 05:15:56 PM
I don't think that qualifies for this one though...

(Gratuitously re-printing the picture ...) Well, I'm pretty sure that's an M3 or M5 under all the, errm, "extras" so maybe it does.

Back on topic, I've always had a fondness for the Cromwell.

Cheers, Martyn

Ben Waterhouse

Well stretching it a bit to turret-less behemoth

The Zveroboy "Beastkiller"

Luddite

Quote from: Leon on 18 September 2010, 04:40:59 PM
I'm surprised there's not been more mentions for the Tiger, the sheer size of the thing must have it's advantages!

Nah.  Tiger's were overrated, mostly due to the experiences of the British and US troops who had little equipment to take it out. 
The Russians had a far better time dealing with it.

And the Tiger has many serious disadvantages.

Rushed into service they were mechanically unreliable and indeed poorly designed with overcomplicated wheels and a seriously slow turret traverse (Whitman never turned his turret because of this, risking throwing his tracks but turning the whole tank). 
FAR too big and heavy, they couldn't use most roads, bridges, couldn't use rail transport without changing to narrow tracks, and had a very limited range, requiring a lot of fuel.

I think it's gained a reputation far beyond its actual importance.

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leon

Quote from: Luddite on 20 September 2010, 10:48:37 PM
Nah.  Tiger's were overrated, mostly due to the experiences of the British and US troops who had little equipment to take it out. 
The Russians had a far better time dealing with it.

And the Tiger has many serious disadvantages.

Rushed into service they were mechanically unreliable and indeed poorly designed with overcomplicated wheels and a seriously slow turret traverse (Whitman never turned his turret because of this, risking throwing his tracks but turning the whole tank). 
FAR too big and heavy, they couldn't use most roads, bridges, couldn't use rail transport without changing to narrow tracks, and had a very limited range, requiring a lot of fuel.

I think it's gained a reputation far beyond its actual importance.

Interesting stuff, cheers for that.   8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

lentulus

I am inclined to accept the common conclusion that the best size for a tank is as small as it can be and get the job done.  That may be quite large, but they shoudl still be small.

I am tempted to do a game where every German tank starts the game represented by a model  tiger and every assault gun an elephant.  You find out what it really is when it takes its first shot (or you find out how little it took to kill it)  For fun, an certain percentage really will be what they seem...

Pruneau

Easy enough, it can only be Gruber's little tank from Allo Allo.

Boardgames: MMP ACW, ASL ᴥ BKC & SSOM - WW2 (In development) ᴥ Flying Lead - Sci-Fi: Shocktroops, Pulp, Spugs ᴥ WH - Greenskins, Dwarfs

http://hiording.blogspot.com - http://runequestfun.blogspot.com - http://secondsquadonme.blogspot.com

ʎɐqə ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎəʞ ɐ ʎnq ı əɯıʇ ʇsɐl əɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Dave Fielder

Centaur Tank - Royal Marines Armoured Support Group 1944. 95mm of close support goodness, and commando trained.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis