Dislikes

Started by fsn, 19 March 2016, 07:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

01 April 2016, 07:10:09 AM #165 Last Edit: 01 April 2016, 07:12:34 AM by FierceKitty
I've met two Americans who did call them loos (though admittedly far more who hooted with derision at the word). Check out Tom Lehrer singing I got it from Agnes.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Hope it wasn't the  =D>
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

JeffNNN

Quote from: Tawa on 31 March 2016, 04:51:44 PM

Huzzah! Brylcreem and Cherry all around! Somebody make that man a leftenant!

Thank you kindly sir. One of my little amusements is looking at the Dawghouse to see just what unutterable drivel has got someone incarcerated there. To pinch an idea Trump is what you get if the Dawghouse comments were a human being.

Tawa

Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

d_Guy

Quote from: FierceKitty on 01 April 2016, 07:10:09 AM
I've met two Americans who did call them loos (though admittedly far more who hooted with derision at the word). Check out Tom Lehrer singing I got it from Agnes.
;D excellent! Neo-Music Hall at its best. But to be fair, "can" doesn't rhyme with "who" or "you".
As to Americans saying "loo" - we generally try to be polite to visitors and remember, as I've noted before, we tend to defer to anyone with a posh English accent - thinking the men smarter and the women smarter AND hotter!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Subedai

Quote from: d_Guy on 01 April 2016, 04:53:34 PM
;D excellent! Neo-Music Hall at its best. But to be fair, "can" doesn't rhyme with "who" or "you".
As to Americans saying "loo" - we generally try to be polite to visitors and remember, as I've noted before, we tend to defer to anyone with a posh English accent - thinking the men smarter and the women smarter AND hotter!

Over here we call people with posh accents either a Rupert or a Henrietta for the exact opposite reasons. Inbreeding, don't you know.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

Do you live in Norwich?

d_Guy

Quote from: Leman on 01 April 2016, 06:48:37 PM
Do you live in Norwich?
Connecticut?
Oh! ...Sorry! You weren't speaking to me!  Besides it Norwalk  :-[

Leman

In the UK Norwich has the same connotations as Tennessee in the US.

d_Guy

Quote from: Leman on 01 April 2016, 07:29:49 PM
In the UK Norwich has the same connotations as Tennessee in the US.

I hate to ask but what would connote West Virginia in UK?

Leman

Quite close - I went to a pub in the depths of Northumberland once, and remarked that it reminded me of scenes in "Justified."

Subedai

Quote from: Leman on 01 April 2016, 07:42:42 PM
Quite close - I went to a pub in the depths of Northumberland once, and remarked that it reminded me of scenes in "Justified."

Try some of the pubs in Brum...the only thing missing is the plaintive sound of Duelling Banjo's!
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Roy

This actually fits quite well with the topic's title, "Dislikes".

Back when I worked with my Father, he was a carpenter-joiner, we worked for Scottish and Newcastle Breweries on the pub maintenance side of things. Suffice to say, I could mention a number of pubs by name that would feature in a dislikes list of places to work.

Worse place to work in a pub? Gent's toilets while they're in use - drunks peeing on the tools.
Another time and pub, we were fixing the toilet cubicle door and this lad kept coming backwards and forwards into the lav's asking if he could use the toilet stall as, to quote, "I'm having to bake it."
Or, happy hour session on a weekday afternoon, and being propositioned by a drunk middle-aged woman. Not in the gent's toilets, I hasten to add.

I really disliked working amongst the drunks.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

d_Guy

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 02 April 2016, 04:35:34 PM
drunks peeing on the tools.

You are probably lucky it was only pee!

As to "dueling banjos" that was actually north Georgia - but it's a fair cop  :)

I must say I always felt pretty much at home in the West Country, Wales north of Cardiff, anywhere in Yorkshire, anywhere north of the Glasgow-Edinburgh metroplex, and pretty much anywhere in Connaght. Not saying I didn't like other places - just more at home.