Dislikes

Started by fsn, 19 March 2016, 07:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandinista

Quote from: toxicpixie on 20 March 2016, 12:01:25 AM
Or give them the Falschirmjagers comment from Normandy  about how the SS only know how to do two things - die, or run away.

:D :D :D

Cheers
Ian

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Guards and other supposedly "elite" units, in any army, and ALL FOREIGNERS.

IanS  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Tanks, bloody boring tin boxes. Might see a bit of use in the RCW, but otherwise, no!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

I must say we never use the veteran, SS etc .. stats in BKC. only thing that sees use are regular army and fortress troops. Has something to do with having trouble remembering wich base is what though  ;D

Jim Ando

Hi

Ancients, naval games, 28mm, anyone using the whole French imperial guard, games workshop apart from space hulk, ww1 games (too harrowing). Can't think of any more at the more.

Jim

Oh yes and SAFC even if the Toon  manage beat them today.

FierceKitty

Gamers who assume troops in colourful uniforms or ordered lines were therefore somehow mentally defective.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Why is WWI more harrowing than any other war? At Towton more  Britons were killed on British soil than on the first day of the Somme. At Flodden almost the whole of the Scottish ruling elite was wiped out leaving Scotland in a far greater mess than after WWI. I dislike the way the anti-war sentiments of the 60s have coloured the view of WWI as opposed to any other war. It was a war fuelled by national jingoistic pride and very much of its time. It was also the first war in which the British used conscription and most soldiers were not professionals. They were also able to express their thoughts in writing to a greater degree than previously. Somehow I doubt those thoughts were any different from soldiers' thoughts throughout history. All wars are harrowing resulting in massacres, destruction of families, unfulfilled human promise etc. Unfortunately they are also part of the human condition - greed, protecting the area around you, competition for resources, the quest for adventure, cultural psyche and so on.  

Leman

I'm with FK on this one. Colourful uniforms were a way of avoiding friendly fire situations at a time when ranges were relatively short. Close ranks was a way of ensuring the maximum delivery of firepower at a time when firearms were relatively inaccurate.

FierceKitty

20 March 2016, 11:17:01 AM #23 Last Edit: 20 March 2016, 11:18:37 AM by FierceKitty
Oh, and gamers who treat all Japanese combat as basically skirmishes between supermen, always with a cherry-tree blossoming in the background, and fewer than twenty figures on the table, always with a bald, unarmoured archer using a bow at two foot range, six naginatas but no pikes, and a geisha right next to the action.

FierceKitty

Americans who don't realise that there was a civil war in Britain, with rather important results.

FierceKitty

Rules that leave one side in a cavalry melee wiped out, and the other reduced to 10% of its starting numbers.

FierceKitty

Reports that always treat Muslim armies as the bad guys.

FierceKitty

Gratuitous family values scenes in movies, when we're waiting for the nudity and violence to get going.

Ithoriel

1. People who keep banging on about their own pet projects

2. The fact Pendraken STILL don't make a Soviet 203mm tracked howitzer or a Soviet 3-men-in-a-trench model  ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Quote from: FierceKitty on 20 March 2016, 11:20:26 AM
Americans who don't realise that there was a civil war in Britain, with rather important results.
Several!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!