Dislikes

Started by fsn, 19 March 2016, 07:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

My recent sojourn to the less-than-sunny south of the country left with with the realisation that there are bits of military kit that I dislike for no good reason. These items will never see action on my table and it is only because of my unreasoning prejudice. For example:

M3/M5 Honey/Stuart. Stupid tank. Too big to be a light tank, too small to be useful as anything else. Watching a prog the other day when they were quite proud of the fact that the only way they could destroy a German tank was to do a cavalry charge and then fire at point blank range. Yes, I know it was reliable and had a reasonable for a light tank (though this US proggie equated it with the Crusader) but I just can't like it. It may be because there used to be a comic strip in the Victor or the Hotspur or some other great British comic that had children running around behind the lines in a Honey looking for their dads and giving Rommel hell. (Anyone else remember that?) I hated it.

Secondly the M3 Lee/Grant.  Stupid big ugly thing that apparently we're supposed to wet out knickers about as it was so special and unique and wasn't it great because it had a 75mm in the sponson? Anyone looked at a Char B1? Anyway, I've always thought the M3 to be an awful thing and I really, really got to hate it when I saw the execrable film "Sahara" with Humphrey Bogarde and a group of stereotypes. I frothed at the mouth when I saw the even worse remake with the less talented and less dead Belushi.

My third choice for a wargaming Room 101 is the King Tiger. I have a gradient of dislike for German tanks of WWII. It goes King Tiger, Tiger, Panther/Pz IV then everything else. this, I notice is in inverse relation to both their "fear factor" and the numbers produced.

So I have no real reason for disliking them, yet dislike them I do. I think it's partially because of their "legend". I also turn my nose up at Romans in lorica segmentata, Napoleonic Highlanders, and Macedonians.

Am I alone? Does anyone else have such irrational dislikes?

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 19 March 2016, 07:39:32 PM

Am I alone? Does anyone else have such irrational dislikes?

No. Yes.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Earwigs! B*****d things!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

19 March 2016, 08:04:03 PM #3 Last Edit: 19 March 2016, 08:08:08 PM by Westmarcher
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

petercooman

Especially for you!!

petercooman

Now seriously, i mostly dislike tankettes.

It just looks like a shoebox with a barrel sticking out.

Just bask in its boxy glory! Bask in it !!!!!!

fsn

But tankettes are s cuuute!

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fsn

petercooman

Quote from: fsn on 19 March 2016, 09:27:40 PM
But tankettes are s cuuute!

That left one reminds me of this!

Sandinista

SS uber forces in WW2 games, and the gamers who wet themselves over them. They irk me somewhat

Cheers
Ian

Heedless Horseman

I used to have an irrational dislike for Panzer III's. Reason: Airfix didn't make them. My therapist advised taking a Stug III, chopping its head superstructure off and replacing with the head turret of a Panzer IV. It worked! I could then litter the desert with burning British Cruisers...and HONEYsL
My therapist made no comment about my irrational hatred of Tony Blair, Tom Cruise, Leonardo de Craprio...
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

fsn

Wouldn't Tony Blair with the turret of a PzIV be a bit dangerous?

fsn

Quote from: petercooman on 19 March 2016, 09:37:22 PM
That left one reminds me of this!
Sad thing is that those bumps on the UE were added after the prototype went off road. They were made by the unprotected heads of the crew.

I may be mistaken on that.

I get easily confused.

Heedless Horseman

Quote from: fsn on 19 March 2016, 10:10:44 PM
Wouldn't Tony Blair with the turret of a PzIV be a bit dangerous?

Dangerous enough as he was!   >:(
On a sadder but still rather crazy notion: upon the recent death of ELP's Keith Emmerson, I was thinking about 'Tarkas' LP...and what someone who had the mind and patience could do with AFVs and animal, (or human 'ish!) , parts. Would not have Blair on my table...even in bits!   :o
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

toxicpixie

Quote from: Sandinista on 19 March 2016, 09:44:41 PM
SS uber forces in WW2 games, and the gamers who wet themselves over them. They irk me somewhat

Cheers
Ian

Remind them who won ;)

Or give them the Falschirmjagers comment from Normandy  about how the SS only know how to do two things - die, or run away.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting