10mm for Patrols in the Sudan questions????

Started by Speirs101, 14 March 2016, 11:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speirs101

Hi this is my first foray into the world of 10mm (not counting drop zone commander) and I think it will make an excellent scale for Patrols in the Sudan by Peter Pig and also Black powder for the Mahdist war. Just wondering if anyone else has done this, what basing do you use (I think I will keep it the same as 15mm but is that suitable for Black Powder?), which figures from the colonial range are suitable, etc? (for example I see there is  a heliograph team in the Boer war range). Many thanks in advance.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hello and welcome,
Lots of the guys here have done the Sudan, I'm sure they will be along in a bit to help.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Don't know your rules, but pretty much everything you need for the Sudan is available; the one exception is the Egyptian camel corps, where you need to use a razor saw and some glue (it's worth it; they look very smart, despite their usual poor performance against Fuzzy Wuzzy).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

A warm welcome to the forum, Spiers ! :-h

Cheers - Phil.

fsn

Wotcha Spiers.

Welcome to this house of erudition and polite discourse.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Zippee

I have vacillated long over this very question. 8)

trouble is the Peter Pig 15mm PITS range is VERY nice and (unsurprisingly) does contain everything needed. And to be honest you don't need vast amounts for PITS . . .

OTOH

there is lots of 10mm goodness to be had and it would morph into larger armies for other rules (including, as you say, BP) but we don't have quite everything you need for PITS which is quite a small scale game. . .

sooo, what to do? :-\

Dither, delay and then probably buy both  :o  ;D

fsn

1) Buy the 10mm Pendraken.

2) If you then feel the need to buy 15mm anything, go to 1)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Speirs101

Welcome to the forum.

By all means get the 10mm for Patrols in the Sudan but then stay for other rules like Science vs Pluck http://www.tinywars.com/download-page, a Pony Wars style game game where all players are on the same side  :d. Lots of other great rule sets that can be used with the figures. They won't go to waste  :D

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Womble67

Hello and welcome to the mad house

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Hi - just remember - They don't like it up em, and Don't panic.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Maenoferren

As people have said pretty much all of the Sudan range is there apart from the Egyptian camel corps.
I have added extra Dervish cavalry from NW frontier ranges. Mounted officers from Boer war ranges, horses from ACW for dismounted cavalry/ mounted infantry.
The Dervish all have the rhino skin shield rather than some of the different types.

I am getting into Science versus pluck and I do rather like the rules. I have purchased some 15mm Peter Pig for the Officer in trouble aspect of the game.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Speirs101

Firstly thank you all for all of your responses and kind welcomes to the group.

Zippee I wish I had the funds to buy both! 10 mm definitely is the way forward as I can multi-purpose the figures if I get the basing correct.
Grumpyoldman thanks for the link I have downloaded and will look through when I get some time.   
Maenoferren thats the kind of info that I am after as annoyingly a lot of the ranges have missing photos!, thank-you!

As a further question, what are your basing conventions for Black powder at 10 mm?, Patrols in the Sudan @15mm is 1:1 scale skirmish and uses 3 infantry on 3x3cm bases (2 for officer and Sargent bases), 3 cavalry on 3x4 cm bases and 4cm bases for guns/machine guns. Will these base sizes be ok for black powder (i know there are no hard and fast rules but what are the common conventions?) would you recommend i scale down i.e 2x2 cm for infantry as figures will look quite spread-out at 10mm scale?

Zippee

Quote from: Speirs101 on 16 March 2016, 11:13:09 AM
Firstly thank you all for all of your responses and kind welcomes to the group.

As a further question, what are your basing conventions for Black powder at 10 mm?, Patrols in the Sudan @15mm is 1:1 scale skirmish and uses 3 infantry on 3x3cm bases (2 for officer and Sargent bases), 3 cavalry on 3x4 cm bases and 4cm bases for guns/machine guns. Will these base sizes be ok for black powder (i know there are no hard and fast rules but what are the common conventions?) would you recommend i scale down i.e 2x2 cm for infantry as figures will look quite spread-out at 10mm scale?

I use 4 infantry on a 20mm square, 2 cavalry on a 20mm square, 1 piece of artillery and crew on a 40mm square, 1 limber or wagon on a 20mm by 80mm rectangle, officers and commanders on round bases, 20-25-30-40-50mm diameter. Oh and play reading inches as cm that's the normal/common way.

Otherwise whatever base size you like with as many figures as you can afford to cram on them  :D

Blackpowder really doesn't care what basing convention you use as long as it's vaguely consistent across both forces. PITS takes a little more work to adjust to alternate base sizes.

slimreidy1

Hi there,

We use Blackpowder for our Sudan games in the scale of 10mm and we use the following base sizes for our units

British / Egyptian infantry 20 X 20 mm bases. 4 bases per unit
British / Egyptian cavalry 25 X 25 mm bases. 3 bases per unit
All artillery 20 X 25 mm bases
Mahdist/dervish infantry 80 X 40 mm bases (treated as Warbands )
Mahdist cavalry/camelry 80 X 40 mm bases (treated as Warbands )

We find the rules work very well for the period, all we do is change the measurements and ranges from inches to centimetres.
If you click on the following link to my blog it will take you to a Battle report of one of our games where you can see on the photos how the units look. The Mahdist troops look really good as a massed war band

http://slimreidy1.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/refighting-battle-of-el-teb.html

Hope this helps 😄