Light mortars

Started by Nosher, 08 March 2016, 03:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

Will these feature in BKC under Pendraken?

Never really got them being factored into infantry stats??
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Ithoriel

We play that a stand represents a platoon. Certainly at that scale it makes sense to me that LMGs and light mortars are rolled up into the factors for an infantry stand. BKC is supposed to be "top down" after all.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Chris Pringle

A veteran told me the 2" mortar was always the first thing to be dumped in a ditch before an attack.

Orcs

I think there is some need for smoke other than from off table artillery.

Possibly allocating light mortrs in the same way as A/T Rifles and allow that stand to fire smoke instead of normal weapons .  perhaps with a limited width of smoke screen say 2".  This would be enough to shield infantry crossing open ground from some of the defending infantry.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Nosher

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 08 March 2016, 05:52:26 PM
I think there is some need for smoke other than from off table artillery.

Possibly allocating light mortrs in the same way as A/T Rifles and allow that stand to fire smoke instead of normal weapons .  perhaps with a limited width of smoke screen say 2".  This would be enough to shield infantry crossing open ground from some of the defending infantry.

Like your thinking.

I think BKC plays best when it's infantry heavy and personally I want to aim to play at section level with fixed formations and proper orbats. Omitting the role of the 2" mortar and it's effectiveness particularly in delivering pinpoint smoke cover is frustrating.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

petercooman

Really like that smoke idea too!

Kiwidave

There is an optional rule at the back for defensive smoke, which would probably cover the use of the 2". Don't have the book to hand, so can't give a page reference.

toxicpixie

Given their utility and everyone dropping them for bigger tubes or relegating them to smoke duties I think KiwiDave has the right idea :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Orcs

Defensive smoke is for vehicles with smoke dischargers.

The idea being when the said tank is fired at it fires off its smoke dischargers. to stop further shooting at it.

Its not for infantry unfortunately

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

toxicpixie

Yes, but the idea is easily transposed. Although if you play BKC a scale down where a stand is a squad not a platoon then light mortars probably are worth including... At platoon scale as written they're just an extra bit of nothing much. Giving British infantry the option to fire a smoke marker if about to assault/under fire might be a very easy and satisfying abstraction!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 10 March 2016, 09:19:59 AM
Defensive smoke is for vehicles with smoke dischargers.

The idea being when the said tank is fired at it fires off its smoke dischargers. to stop further shooting at it.

Its not for infantry unfortunately

No reason you couldn't use the same mechanism for infantry.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Kiwidave

I thought there were two separate optional rules; one for vehicle-mounted smoke dischargers (puts smoke around vehicle)  and another for defensive smoke (puts line of smoke immediately in front of an enemy stand that fired). I am going on memory here, so excuse me if I have this incorrect.....

Orcs

It might be me, I am at work and going from memory

Womble67

Anyone got any more thoughts on this

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

My thoughts remain that it's probably more detail than I want for the scale we play at. If my Germans fire at a stand of Brits and score no hits then maybe the Brits got off a few rounds of smoke from a 2". It's lost in the random factors.

For those playing at a lower scale the Defensive Smoke rules could be adapted.

We are in any case beyond the point at which rules changes are going to be incorporated in the next printing from what Leon has written.