FPW horses

Started by shireman, 16 March 2016, 07:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shireman

I'm about to start work on FPW armies from Pendraken and would like some advice on horses. Does one go for the usual browns and chestnuts or are there units which have specific mounts ( cf The Scots Greys or the black horses that were apparently the standard mount for early 18th century British cavalry)? From illustrations it seems that the Chasseurs d' Afrique were on white/greys. Is this the case? Many thanks for your help with this.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Without the sources in front of me, I'm going from memory, which soften faulty; and I'm sure Cameronian, m. Le Manchu and Mollinary will be be along with the correct answer momentarily.
For the French, the Hussars and Dragoons could have any colour, but the Cuirassiers were meant to be on darker steeds (no bays/roan/dun)
Musicians can of course have greys, cozy the look cool!
Artillery is whatever you could get hold of...
I found my Osprey for the Prussians: . Dragoons were 'brighter', cuirassiers were not to ride greys, piebald a, duns or similar, trumpeters on greys by 1864. No regulations for hussars or Uhlans
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

shireman

Many thanks for your help with that. It is much appreciated.