A30 Avenger SP

Started by Sunray, 02 March 2016, 05:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Another request for a extra turret - The Avenger was a refinement of the Challenger with a lower turret.  This was open top with a raised protective roof.  More accurately an SP than a tank and the RA were the main operators.  It served a few post war years with the BAOR.

Just another example another model from an existing Pendraken hull. The lower turret is neat and has a certain likeness to the Centurion without the side panner storage boxes.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Only about 30 built -in service from 1945(after May) to 47/8. Whilst not a major effort it would be a bit of a waste of time.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

Are we working towards asking Pendraken to produce models of every 20th century vehicle that made it beyond the scribble-on-the-back-of-a-fag-packet stage?

Given that Pendraken's ranges (like those of most wargame figure manufacturers) don't currently cover the first 50% of military history at all, much less to the extent of doing models of things that never made it in to action, I'd rather see effort directed to filling that gap.

Would be nice to see some or all of Akkadians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Hittites, Old Kingdom Egyptians, Mycenaens and Sumerians, for example, before we start seeing LoA-cuirassier-with-toothache, tank-there-was-only-ever-a-prototype-for or weapon-that's-very-similar-to-a-currently-produced-one-but-it's-0.5mm shorter.

<grump over>
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

clibinarium

Well if its a comfort, the sculpting of LoA figures is not getting in the way of any bronze age near east ranges.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Wulf

Yes, I think it unlikely the same people will be sculpting A30 turrets & Babylonian ass-hauled war wagons. Although I could be wrong...

And an A30 turret is only one sculpt - a new range of Ancients would need, what, a dozen figures? 2 dozen?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

More rivets on an A30 turret!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

03 March 2016, 05:35:49 PM #7 Last Edit: 03 March 2016, 05:38:01 PM by Sunray
Quote from: ianrs54 on 03 March 2016, 08:18:18 AM
Only about 30 built -in service from 1945(after May) to 47/8. Whilst not a major effort it would be a bit of a waste of time.

IanS

Four  points

1.  The hull is already in production by Pendraken, so its only a turret variation .

2.  Vauxhall Motors built at least 230  (Source Mitch Williamson,  www.alliedtanksafvs.blogspot.com)  That compares with just 165 FV200s, so its hardly a "scribble on the back of a fag packet" .

3.  They were an important element equipping two RA battalions in the post war BAOR, a decent mobile SP for the Royal Artillery that could take on the hordes of Soviet T34/85s, SU-100s, ISU -152s, and IS-2/3.  Not to mention the Challengers that ended up in the Czech army.

4.   Waramers like the exotic- that element of having something different on the table.  It is a game after all and not just a historical re-enactment  in a small scale.  I have never seen a Kursk style Eastern Front tank battle that did not feature at least a squadron of the rare Elefant.  And there only was what - just 90 of them made?
Perhaps its also because the British WW2 players always have to play with undergunned armour, its just feels good to have a British made SP/Tank that packs a punch.  And the A30 Avenger looks good.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!