Bendy and broken pikes

Started by doctorphalanx, 01 March 2016, 07:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorphalanx

All my old 25/28mm and 15mm pike and long-spear armies were re-equipped with wire or pins because I hate the look of limp spaghetti and broken shafts.

These days I prefer smaller scales, particularly 10mm, but I'm completely put off doing any pike armies if I have to use or convert cast-on pikes.

I'm particularly interested in doing some TYW armies and it has been suggested that Old Glory pikemen can be substituted for Pendraken ones. Even so, I believe the OG figures still require drilling.

I have converted a few Pendraken ensigns, but it's tedious and the patient does not always survive the operation.

I would love it if Pendraken did open-handed pikes. Am I in a minority?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The LOA pikemen are openhanded
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

I too have a long standing desire for open handed pikemen, but in my case it is an aversion to the tiny toothpicks currently carried by Pendraken ECW "pikemen". That said, I do already have about 1400+ AIM 10mm ECW pikemen, so I am probably not in the market for a load myself! As Lemmey says, however, the LOA pikemen show the way to go.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Doctor,
Like you I have transitioned down to 10mm from 25mm and share some of your opinions regarding the appearance of pikes.
My 25s had most  of their pikes replaced with pins or wires (all with sharp points). It was rather like playing with clowders of porcupines and often lead to the flow of blood.

Here is a pic of Pendraken, Minifig, and OG pikemen (some where on my blog an Irregular is also included):

I use the OG as ensigns in command groups rather than pikemen. Yes, they need to be drilled (I use a dremel with1/32" bit, pretty easy if the base is well secured).  I included the pic to show the molded base on the OGs. The figures can be separated pretty easily but the base has to be kept to maintain figure height.

While the Pendraken pike is shorter (maybe 14' pike) I actually prefer it both for overall look and storage (I use really thin boxes)
The Minifigs got cut down to the same length and re-pointed. The story I tell myself to justify this is the one about pikemen shortening their weapons for ease of transport while in the field.

I've just ordered some LOA pikemen (and pikes) so I'll put up a picture once I have a few completed.
Sleep with clean hands ...

jimduncanuk

Quote from: d_Guy on 01 March 2016, 10:28:20 PM

While the Pendraken pike is shorter (maybe 14' pike) I actually prefer it both for overall look and storage (I use really thin boxes)
The Minifigs got cut down to the same length and re-pointed. The story I tell myself to justify this is the one about pikemen shortening their weapons for ease of transport while in the field.

Assuming you use a reasonable number of pikemen on your base the impression of a pike block will be maintained if you use shorter pikes.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Womble67

Quote from: doctorphalanx on 01 March 2016, 07:36:48 PM
All my old 25/28mm and 15mm pike and long-spear armies were re-equipped with wire or pins because I hate the look of limp spaghetti and broken shafts.

These days I prefer smaller scales, particularly 10mm, but I'm completely put off doing any pike armies if I have to use or convert cast-on pikes.

I'm particularly interested in doing some TYW armies and it has been suggested that Old Glory pikemen can be substituted for Pendraken ones. Even so, I believe the OG figures still require drilling.

I have converted a few Pendraken ensigns, but it's tedious and the patient does not always survive the operation.

I would love it if Pendraken did open-handed pikes. Am I in a minority?

Exactly how I feel I would love to do the ECW but won't until there is an open handed option.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

doctorphalanx

Well, if the LOA pikemen represent the future trend I applaud it. I'll just have to wait for the ECW/TYW range to be remodelled...

Any recommendations for 10mm pikes? In the past I used piano wire and dress pins. In recent years there have been some nice wire pikes available for 15mm and 25/28mm with shaped heads. Anything like that for 10mm?

My old Ancient/Renaissance armies were notorious for inflicting flesh wounds - it taught people to treat my figures with respect!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

clibinarium

I don't know that the LoA example can be taken as an offical change of direction; it was something I just went with unprompted because I don't like bendy pikes either. But with other sculptors it may be different. Indeed some customers will hate the idea of gluing pikes on.

doctorphalanx

@mad lemmey

Are you  saying LOA11 is suitable for TYW?

Is there a photo somewhere?

Techno

Quote from: clibinarium on 02 March 2016, 12:42:17 AM
I don't know that the LoA example can be taken as an offical change of direction; it was something I just went with unprompted because I don't like bendy pikes either. But with other sculptors it may be different. Indeed some customers will hate the idea of gluing pikes on.

What Clib says is spot on....From memory....When we've discussed this before, a lot of folk really hate the idea of having to add pikes themselves.

Personally...If this was something I had to deal with as a gamer, rather than as a sculptor, I'd use 0.7 or 0.8mm brass wire...flatten one end with a pair of 'smooth' pliers, or a pin hammer....then shape the flattened end with the Dremmel and a carborundum disc.

A somewhat gutty job, if there are 'lots' to do...and I do realise that not everyone has access to a Dremmel.

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: doctorphalanx on 02 March 2016, 12:50:54 AM
@mad lemmey

If you want 30 X 30mm long steel rods, absolutely! :)

Leman

Not the period, but Pendraken Macedonian pike are cast open-handed.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fred.

Quote from: doctorphalanx on 02 March 2016, 12:50:54 AM
@mad lemmey

These are just straight pieces of wire pre-cut to the right length. There is no cast or shaped head.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

As Phil has said, this is one of those debates that comes up regularly and for every person who wants them open-handed there's an equal number who hate the idea of having to glue pikes onto every figure.  The only real solution is to offer both types...  :'(

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!