Bendy and broken pikes

Started by doctorphalanx, 01 March 2016, 07:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Not having this problem yet, as i don't do pike troops!

But i think i would rather have them cast on, that way you can remove and drill if you don't like them. To me that would look sturdier as opposed to half open hands.

FierceKitty

If hoplites come, can Macedonians be far behind?

Lousy scansion!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

petercooman

Quote from: FierceKitty on 03 March 2016, 02:11:55 AM
If hoplites come, can Macedonians be far behind?

Lousy scansion!

Probably not!

mollinary

Just been checking the Painting Competition, and there are some amazing pieces of work this year. Congrats everyone!  The reason I have posted here is the last set of pics on the Army list have been put up by Leon of behalf of forum member d'Hautpoul. They show a lovely ECW army with, I think(!) pikemen with replaced pikes. They certainly look the business.  :D

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Womble67

Quote from: Leon on 02 March 2016, 08:53:44 PM
We'd be looking at around £300 I'd think to modify the 4 English and 4 Scots pikemen poses and remould them empty handed.  We'd then need to shift close to a couple of hundred packs to recoup that outlay, so it's probably not viable. 

Ok I would be willing to give pendraken £30 to get something I would like.
Are there another 9 forum members also willing to pledge £30.

Could be less if more pledge.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I will chuck in. I quite like the ECW pikes as they are. Just gives everyone the variety, like FPW French and Prussian standard bearers...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

Quote from: mad lemmey on 03 March 2016, 11:50:03 PM
I will chuck in. I quite like the ECW pikes as they are. Just gives everyone the variety, like FPW French and Prussian standard bearers...

Thanks

8 to go

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

doctorphalanx

I'd contribute £30 towards the production of open-handed pikemen suitable for TYW, though that begs the question of which figures are suitable.

I haven't looked in detail at what I'd need for TYW as I've been put off by the pike issue. Perhaps I should raise that in another thread.

Richard

Womble67

Quote from: doctorphalanx on 04 March 2016, 08:17:07 AM
I'd contribute £30 towards the production of open-handed pikemen suitable for TYW, though that begs the question of which figures are suitable.

I haven't looked in detail at what I'd need for TYW as I've been put off by the pike issue. Perhaps I should raise that in another thread.

Richard

Are  the English Civil War figures suitable for Thirty Years War ?

If so 7 to go

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

doctorphalanx

old smokie

agree with the open handed pikemen but what about having open handed flag bearers as well , I have had quite a few bendy and broken flag poles  >:(

petercooman

Now maybe i am just blessed, but i have never had a broken flagpole up until now  :-\

Worst thing to come off was a bajonet, and that was during prepping using a needle file.

doctorphalanx

04 March 2016, 10:06:01 AM #42 Last Edit: 04 March 2016, 10:42:27 AM by doctorphalanx
There's a thread on flags and poles (technically also called 'pikes') here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,2562.0.html

Leon

The trouble already is that people start thinking about which other ranges/figures they'd prefer open-handed and it starts that domino effect.  If we did the ECW's, we'd then get asked about the Elizabethans, and so on.  It's a slippery slope...!   :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Quote from: Leman on 02 March 2016, 07:54:36 AM
Not the period, but Pendraken Macedonian pike are cast open-handed.

That is one of the main reasons I have avoided a macedonian army, despite having an Indiamn opponent

As Leon says its a matter of preference
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson