It's the little things that irritate

Started by fsn, 01 March 2016, 05:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Reintegrating....
After several days of ever increasing discomfort old Ben was finally able to take a chot.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Roy

The fingers. Peace. Or whatever it is. I hate it and it drives me crazy every time I see it!

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Leman

Hate and War to you then Roy, if that's what makes y'all happy.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

She's actually ordering to cold ones, Roy.  I initially missed the fingers while concentrating on the patriotic display ;)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Techno

Last time I looked at the USA's flag, the red and white stripes were horizontal, not vertical   ;)

Cheers - Phil

Roy

15 April 2016, 07:33:59 PM #185 Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 07:37:24 PM by RoyWilliamson
[If this is too strong [one of my occasional slips] then Techno just delete it  :) ]

This

Or this

Fine by me.

But not this, as its ubiquitous and has lost its meaning

And then some people, because the signs lost its true meaning, they don't know what it means and so they think it will look cool to use it for advertising, and thinking it means what they think it means and that it would look cool to alter the hands facing... They make big advertisements with chumps basically telling people to P*** O**! Or, I can k**l you, if used in a historical context.

The above is captioned "Businessman giving victory, two fingers sign"

So, that would be copying Churchill, who used it as a sign of defiance and ultimate victory over a political and hostile enemy that we were currently engaged with at war, and were killing each other in the millions. That's real good advertising. Family friendly and wholesome. We will destroy the opposition businesses and conquer them unconditionally.

Two fingers "Peace" signs. I hate them!  ~X(

"Always look on the bright side of life"  m/
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 15 April 2016, 07:31:42 PM
Last time I looked at the USA's flag, the red and white stripes were horizontal, not vertical   ;)

Cheers - Phil
Depends how hard the wind is blowing.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Techno

Now. :-\

Regarding the 'V' sign given by the archers above

Has anyone got the definitive answer.

WAS that the beginning of the 'insulting' gesture.....Because the French (?) used to remove those particular fingers of archers they captured, so the English archers used to wave those fingers at the enemy, to show that they could still fire an arrow.

Years ago I was told that, that was a stone cold solid fact....(No doubt about it squire !)
Since then, I've been told that this particular 'fact' is a pile of poo.

Which is right ?

Cheers - Phil

jimduncanuk

My Ego forbids a signature.

O Dinas Powys

Having just read through the driver ones again, I'm reminded of the people who I like to cathartically refer to as The 40mph F***ers!  You know the ones: 50, 60 or national speed limit, they pootle along at 40; on into the 40 mph section, fine and dandy: we're observing the limit; then you hit the 30mph section and off they zoom... 

Doesn't matter what the road conditions; 40, 40, 40... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

FierceKitty

How the war was won: scissors cut paper.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

I was expecting comments like "May you live to be as old as your jokes"; much relieved am I, yes.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.