Six Nations 2016 (so far...)

Started by Nosher, 29 February 2016, 04:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

So people, whats the general feeling on this years competition?

I think that sadly we've (as in the Northern Hemisphere) not learnt a great deal from the RWC :(

2 minutes 20 secs to form a scrum is almost as long as it takes Dan Bighead to set himself for a penalty or conversion attempt. Frankly neither are entertaining to watch :o

The standard of the games (with the exception of this weekends game between the sweaties and the eyeties) has been generally poor :(

I'm not at all surprised by the current table standings. Of all the teams I think England's post RWC restructuring has been marginally better with both Wales and Ireland struggling with big names being missing. Scotland have carried on where they left off from the RWC - playing well but struggling to find a killing touch.

As for France......... they've been appalling.

Looking forward to the decider between England and Wales.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Matt J

Agree its been a bit pants. Lack of imagination from the big(ger) 4, only seen Italy and Scotland attempting to play.
Light years behind the southern hemisphere
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Techno

Quote from: Nosher on 29 February 2016, 04:26:07 PM
So people, whats the general feeling on this years competition?

2 minutes 20 secs to form a scrum is almost as long as it takes Dan Bighead to set himself for a penalty or conversion attempt. Frankly neither are entertaining to watch :o

The standard of the games (with the exception of this weekends game between the sweaties and the eyeties) has been generally poor :(

As for France......... they've been appalling.

Looking forward to the decider between England and Wales.

Just found it all SO uninspiring, Nosher !

Scrums....You're absolutely right......And I've been shouting at Dan B......."FOR CRYING OUT LOUD......STOP TWITCHING.....KICK THE SODDING THING."
I'll obviously want Wales to beat the toffs.....But, in truth, I don't really care now.
The whole thing has left me cold.

Cheers - Phil

fred.

I've been quite enjoying the games.

But there is a bunch of faffing around at times, especially the reset of scrums. The other week one of the Refs seemed much happier to let them get on with the scrums, even when they had turned into a pile of bodies on the floor!

None of the European teams look like they could challenge the southern hemisphere teams.

England have moments of looking good, then large bits of looking less then good. They aren't clinical enough - they should have put loads of points on the board against Ireland in the first half - then were fairly lucky in the second half with 14 players for much of it.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

Well so far the Southern hemisphere chaps have nothing to worry about. Interesting listening to the former All Black at half time on the BBC and his views on how thew teams play compared to the ABs.

Frankly I just wish the refs would penalise teams straight away at the scrums. In the final game of the weekend one of the tight heads was binding on the arm right in front of the ref and wasn't penalised!!!!!

mollinary

Quote from: Steve J on 29 February 2016, 08:03:56 PM
Frankly I just wish the refs would penalise teams straight away at the scrums. In the final game of the weekend one of the tight heads was binding on the arm right in front of the ref and wasn't penalised!!!!!

I agree with all that this year has been underwhelming - I have ended up painting and basing through much of it.  Perhaps the answer to the problem identified by Steve is for the Props to have shirts with 'binding loops' on them, which it is obligatory for the opposition to use?  At least it would be clear and simple!   But I still have hope for England, Japan were breathtaking in the World Cup, and if only a drop of that can be injected into them by their new coach,  it could be spectacular.  But it is not this day!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Nosher

And now the namby pamby do-gooders want to take the tackle out of the junior game :d :d :d :d :d I despair!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35696238

I only hope schools don't knee jerk to this report....
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Chris Pringle

I respectfully submit that:
- rugby is a game of combinations
- most of the players in the Six Nations sides aren't used to playing alongside each other
- they don't get much time to prepare as a team beforehand
- wet weather or frozen fingers don't help
- therefore the games are error-strewn and stodgy.

In the southern hemisphere the Super 15, now Super 18 competition means that NZ, AUS and SA are each picking their national XV from just 5 teams, so a lot of the combinations are already there.
Wales and Ireland come close to that model as they are picking from 4 regions, hence have done relatively well in recent years.
(In Gatland's first game as Wales coach, didn't he field something like 13 Ospreys players, implicitly acknowledging the importance of combinations?)
England (12 Premiership sides) and France (Top 14) have far too many teams.
Scotland with only 2 just don't have enough quality players.

Chris
Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

jimduncanuk

Quiet here this afternoon, is everyone watching the game?
My Ego forbids a signature.

Ithoriel

I'm in the Caribbean sinking smugglers :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 13 March 2016, 05:01:01 PM
Quiet here this afternoon, is everyone watching the game?

Don't know much about Rugby but enjoy watching the RU Internationals. Tried watching the Scotland game and the Scottish League Cup Final. Didn't work too well. Missed the first two goals! D'oh! (but I'll see them later so no loss). Seems you can't have your cake and eat it. Good afternoon over all however.  :-bd

Quote from: Ithoriel on 13 March 2016, 05:26:27 PM

If only you were on holiday there and 'smugglers' were some kind of alcoholic drink! Sure it was fun nevertheless.  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Ithoriel on 13 March 2016, 05:26:27 PM

You're not playing Buccaneer again Mike?
My Ego forbids a signature.

Nosher

Frank Carson