My AWI efforts

Started by vladgothic, 27 February 2016, 12:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vladgothic

I recently received my order of AWI and couldn't wait to get started, after much cleaning and organising I find I have a rather large mountain of painting  ;D

So without much ado I set about my first Regt, this is the result

I have to say they are superb figures ( I know I'm singing to the quire ) and a joy to paint

I was encouraged by toxicpixie to chuck my lot in the comp so you may see the reduced compliment over there  :)

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jimduncanuk

27 February 2016, 07:14:40 PM #4 Last Edit: 27 February 2016, 07:16:23 PM by jimduncanuk
A great start for your first unit, well done. Nicely painted and based.

In an ideal world I would prefer to see British line infantry battalions with both the Kings Colour and the Regimental Colour together. It's the army tradition you see.

My Ego forbids a signature.

paulr

I understand the tradition but when you are representing several hundred men with 28 figures scaling back the number of flags a bit seems to make sense :-\

I tend to use the regimental colour as it adds a bit more colour
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

vladgothic

Thank you all for the kind words  :D does wonders for the confidence!

With regards flags, I personally agree, the two flag set up looks so much more visually pleasing, paulr does make good issue with regards figure ratios. My Regt is 1:10, that would scale to a very patriotic formation  :)

I also read somewhere that historically only one flag was taken into the field, as it is I didn't have the regimental colours so the crown had to do  ;D

Bill Braham

Excellent job, good luck in painting competition.

Truth is there is some question as to when and where the colours were carried in the field during the AWI. In the south it seems as if not every regiment may have carried their colours in the field - the 33rd and 71st seem to have left their colours in New York (although there are legends of the 33rds colours being concealed at the surrender of Yorktown implying they were taken south). The 23rd had their colours at Camden (one was carried by Sergeant Lamb), the 43rd, 76th and 80th surrendered theirs at Yorktown and the 7th managed to lose a second set of colours at Cowpens having lost their first set at rt Chamblay. Provincial/Loyalist do not seem to have ever received colours. The exception being the mounted element of the British Legion (recieved post war after the mounted element had been taken on the British establishment) and the Kings American Dragoons had their guidons presented in August 1782. The Queens Rangers colours captured in York in war of 1812 probably relate to the second incarnation of the regiment when it was re-raised in 1791 rather than its AWI service. Of course the truth is we all want units with flags bravely flying whether or not it reflects reality ;)

There is a possibility of the Kings and Regimental colours being flow/paraded alone. A tradition based on detachments as specified in Humphrey Bland's 'A Treatise of Military Discipline' in which a detachment from a battalion commanded by a field officer carries a single colour. The best example I can think of is the Braddock expedition in 1755 when detachments of the 44th and 48th regiments were pulled out for the final push to Ft Duquesne. Braddock specified that the detachment of the 44th commanded by Lt Col Pittscottie should carry it Kings Colour and the detachment of the 48th regiment under it major would carry its regimental colour.

vladgothic

Bill, thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive explanation.

Very useful info and great reading, it supported what I had read myself and then expanded by some and more.

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Techno

Very nice work, Vlad.
(And you too, Jim)
Cheers - Phil

maciek

Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Vanvlak

Very nice jon there  8) 8) 8) - and good luck in the comp. too.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Werthor

Very nice start, looking forward to see more units!

Bunny

Very nice!  It will be a fine looking army.....look forward to seeing more