How many at once?

Started by alexmac207, 24 February 2016, 09:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexmac207

How many figures do you usually paint at the same time?

I thought by unit would be a good way, at first. I started off with a unit of 8 cavalry and
that went well. I am currently working on a 30 man unit of Grenadiers and I'm feeling a bit
overwhelmed. It seems like I am getting very far when I paint each day.

Any tips or tricks for getting the job done without losing your mojo?

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

petercooman

It varies from one project to another, but to give some examples:

ACW

One unit for me is 32 models on 4 bases. So i paint 32 at a time.

ww2

usually all at once, because i distribute them afterwards and stick them to bases. Easier to do all at once, so i can mix and match to get as many different poses on each base.

For skirmish games.

As many as i want at the time i paint, but will usually do 50/50 for both armies, to keep the force sizes consistent. (i always do both forces for my games)

Ithoriel

Sometimes I paint a single figure/ model. Sometimes two or three units.

If it starts to feel like a chore because I'm doing too many at once, I'll concentrate on part of the group.

So, in answer to how many at once - as many as I feel comfortable doing at that moment.

It's a hobby, not a job, so I just go with the flow.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jimduncanuk

Today I have a unit of twenty 28mm figures, eight units of twentyfour 6mm figures and fifty markers based on coins covered in pebbles.

I paint a little bit on each every day.

I sometimes have more than this on the go at any one time.
My Ego forbids a signature.

paulr

I tend to paint in large batches, 81 cavalry on the go at the moment.

I set sub goals, for example I've just finished dry brushing the uniforms and will move onto the horse's manes and tails next. I won't worry about what is next until they are done.

Doing something every day, if you can, gets you there in the end ;)

I have also found a painting diary on this forum helpful with maintaining motivation, if not always focus ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

I tend to go with batches of about 30 foot at a time - I find this the best balance between too many and getting overwhelmed, and too few to see the results.

But the key is to go with what works for you, if 8 cavalry is good, then I'd try about 15 infantry at once.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Zippee

I tend to do one or more units, so recently that has been an Napoleonic Austrian infantry regiment (144 figs) whilst now I'm on the cavalry and doing a couple of regiments at a time (32 or 48 figs).

That gets turned around in a week generally.

I do an hour or so most weekday evenings - one or two colours or 'things' across the whole lot and then at the weekend a concentrated stint to finish, base and prep the next batch.

FierceKitty

Usually about 50, two units.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

I paint in batches of 20 to 30 figures any more and I find it to difficult

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

paulr

Having recently painted up some additions to a couple of units, AWI riflemen, I would suggest doing complete units as a minimum

Even with good painting notes it was "interesting" getting the extra stand to blend into the unit. I suspect it would be even harder for more uniform units.
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Shecky

depends on what I feel I can handle at once. For instance, the SYW Austrians units I just finished I painted two units or a total of 28 figures. The most I ever tried at one time were 84 ACW Union figures. Those were easy as they were all the same. The more details or colors I need to use the fewer figures I paint at one time.

Obsidian23

Hi,

I find doing them by unit.  I am painting British AWI so this is relevant to that only.  I am new to 10mm and found doing 6 stands of 6 figures  works.  I can go from 0 to based and finished in one sitting.  The technique I use which helps keep me on track and makes me feel like I am making progress is to pick a colour or uniform part and do that.  so I would do the white, so I start with the base grey and then the white highlight, I would do the trousers, undershirts, belts etc.  Once the white is finished pick the next colour and go.  I have some posts up called my First 10mm.  all of these were one in a couple of days.

hope this makes sense and helps.

cheers

Steve J

Depends upon the rules sytem I'm using. So for BKCII, it might be 9 stands of infantry at 4 figures per base. For Honours of War, more likely 2 bases at a time, with 8-10 figures per base.